[Sust-mar] Don't be Idle = Stand for Peace; Write for Peace on Dec. 26 at noon

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Mon Dec 24 22:17:58 EST 2012

Happy Holidays!

Last Wednesday, I started a weekly protest against the planned warships to
be built by the Halifax Irving Shipyard. The federal government is spending
$25 billion of our precious tax dollars to build combat vessels for navy
that we do not need. That money could instead go to fund Aboriginal needs,
renewable energy, affordable housing, and early learning & child care in
Canada.

I am protesting every Wednesday from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. outside the
Irving Shipyard on Barrington St. (3099 Barrington St. at the Niobe Gate Rd.
entrance) and I invite you to join me.

This Wednesday, December 26, Boxing Day, from 12:00-1:00 p.m., Lucia and I
are going to be standing for peace outside the shipyard with a sign in
solidarity of IDLE NO MORE and Chief Theresa Spence who is on a hunger
strike demanding a meeting to discuss needs of First Nations with the Prime
Minister and the Governor General. Afterward, from 1:00-2:00 p.m. We will be
writing letters in support of Chief Spence, war resisters, Omar Khadr, the
security certificate 3 and the earth (against Bill C-45) in the Hydrostone
Café or the Hydrostone Starbuck's (whichever is open, unfortunately Julien's
isn't open that day). We will also take a picture of our solidarity action
and send it to IDLE NO MORE.

Instead of shopping, stand for peace and write for peace on Boxing Day!

I have a new web site www.demilitarize.ca - please check it out.

I am keeping a blog about my weekly protest and you can read my first entry
here: http://demilitarize.ca/wp/

I also have a Twitter account too that you can follow if you like:
https://twitter.com/tamaralorincz @TamaraLorincz

***
To support IDLE NO MORE, please consider doing the following:

SEND LETTERS and PHONE:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper:
Telephone: 613-992-4211
Fax: 613-941-6900
E-Mail: stephen.harper at parl.gc.ca

Governor-General David Johnstone: info at gg.ca

Contact the federal party leaders:
Thomas Mulcair, Bob Rae, and Elizabeth May: thomas.mulcair at parl.gc.ca;
bob.rae at parl.gc.ca; Elizabeth.may at parl.gc.ca

BACKGROUND INFO:
Idle No More Blog: http://idlenomore1.blogspot.ca/

***

Please make the links as to how the federal government is spending our money
- this year the Department of National Defence says it wants money for light
armoured vehicles, new fighter jets, armed drones, combat vessels, etc....
This is money that is not going to support to environmental and social
programs that will bring true security to people and the planet.

A sustainable future is a peaceful one.

In solidarity during this season of peace and goodwill,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
Email: tlorincz at dal.ca
DEMILITARIZE: http://www.demilitarize.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967

"Without a doubt, military spending represents the single most significant
perversion of worldwide priorities known today." Former President of Costa
Rica and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Oscar Arias, 1999