[Sust-mar] Six employment, apprentice and youth internship opportunities: NS, NB, PEI

Peter Watson pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 15 22:55:27 EST 2012

Submitted by p2 at planetfriendly dot net, and condensed to one message.

Six employment, apprentice and youth internship opportunities: NS, NB, PEI:

1)  Senior Organic Worker / Greenhouse Manager, f/t, Nova Scotia

2)  Waldorf -trained Grades Teacher, f/t, Knowlesville Art and Nature
Centre, New Brunswick

3)  EarthRUN School Day Coordinator, vol., Nova Scotia, NB or PEI

4)  International Youth Internships, f/t, Guatemala, Central America

5)  Bicycle Nova Scotia Membership & Outreach Coordinator, Halifax, Nova
Scotia

6)  Farm Apprentices (2), f/t, Bantry Bay Farm CSA, Saint Andrews, New
Brunswick

1)  Senior Organic Worker / Greenhouse Manager, f/t, Nova Scotia

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Senior Farm Worker / Greenhouse Manager
Location: Bramber, Nova Scotia

Organic vegetables have been grown at Selwood Green Farm, located on the
Noel shore of the Minas Basin in Nova Scotia, for almost 30 years. We sell
our vegetables almost exclusively at the Halifax Seaport Farmers' Market. In
2011, we opened a 'farm to table' café at our permanent market space. We
have approximately 15 acres under cultivation, winter storage facilities,
and 4 greenhouses for starting seeds, heat loving crops and season
extension. We employ a variety of production techniques designed for
mid-sized farms, including tractor cultivation and biodegradable plastic
mulch, but are not so big as to miss out on the joys of wheel hoes and
handweeding. We're trying to focus more on crop rotation to emphasize pest
and disease control, nutrient management and soil-building. We think our
farm is unique in that we grow a relatively high volume of a diverse
selection of high quality vegetables. We're excited about improving our
greenhouse production methods and branching out i
 nto more gourmet varieties to sell and prepare in our café.

Applicants should be willing to move to the Bramber area for the duration of
the growing season; we can help you find potential accommodations. This farm
would serve as an ideal environment for young farmers wishing to try out
both new and proven growing strategies before starting out on their own.
We're open to welcoming several new workers; couples shouldn't hesitate to
apply.

Qualified candidates must...
. Have at least 1 season's experience on an organic farm;
. Be willing and able to work hard in a physically and mentally challenging
environment;
. Have an appreciation of the pleasures and challenges of rural lifestyles;
. Be willing to relocate to the Noel Shore for the 2012 season;
. Have access to a vehicle.

Assets would include:
. Knowledge of greenhouse production, both for season extension and the
cultivation of heat-loving crops (cucumbers, tomatoes);
. Experience with field machinery;
. Experience with construction, especially greenhouses;
. Completion of a degree or diploma in organic farming would be awesome!

For further information, email us at selwoodgreen at gmail.com or visit our
shop at the Seaport Market. To apply, please send a resume and letter
outlining your interest to the same address.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organic Jobs, Internships & Volunteering
GoodWork Canada http://goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php?theme=food
CRAFT (Ontario) http://www.craftontario.ca
SOIL (Canada) http://soilapprenticeships.org
FarmLink (Ontario) http://farmlink.net
ACORN (Atlantic Canada) http://acornorganic.org/training.html
Manitoba Farm Mentorships http://organicfoodcouncil.org/mentorship.html
Alberta Sustainable Agriculture Apprenticeship http://startfarming.ca
WWOOF (Worldwide) http://wwoof.ca and http://planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at
GoodWorkCanada.ca.

2) Waldorf -trained Grades Teacher, f/t, Knowlesville Art and Nature Centre,
New Brunswick

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

JOB OPENING

Position: Waldorf-trained Grades Teacher
http://www.knowlesvillenature.ca
Location: Knowlesville, New Brunswick

The Knowlesville Art and Nature School, is opening September 2012, the first
Waldorf-inspired school in New Brunswick Canada, and is actively seeking an
experienced, Waldorf-trained teacher to lead our inaugural Grade 1 to 3
class.

The Knowlesville Art and Nature School is located in the heart of rural New
Brunswick surrounded by over 80 acres of fields, wetlands, organic gardens,
and mixed Acadian forest. The Knowlesville Art and Nature School aims to
create a life-long learning centre that will be the heart of a vibrant
land-based rural neighbourhood. Our neighbours & community partners include
Falls Brook Centre, an eco-training centre; Northwoods Survival; Brook Farm
Books; Buckwheat Flats Natural Foods; Artful Acre Design and the South
Knowlesville Community Land Trust initiative. Together we are working to
attract families to move to the Knowlesville area and the Waldorf School is
a central part of supporting this larger vision. Our programming will build
upon the existing pre-school program to include parent-child classes,
kindergarten, as well as Grades 1 through 3, Eurythmy, French, Handwork,
Woodwork, and Music.

We are seeking a well-rounded teacher who is fun-loving, enthusiastic, warm,
with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication, effective
classroom management, musicality, and strength in science and math. It is
our desire to hire a qualified individual committed to leading the grades
1-3 class and working with our education team to assist with the celebration
of seasonal festivals, workshops and events. We are considering candidates
who could begin in the initial set up work for their classroom starting at
the beginning of July 2012. Classes with students would begin September
2012. Candidates with Waldorf teacher training certification or equivalent
credentials are strongly preferred.

If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and a resume listing
background, training, experience, and three references. Call or write Tegan
Wong-Daugherty, Managing Director, at 506-375-8623 or
info at knowlesvillenature.ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waldorf Schools in Canada
http://www.waldorf.ca/

"What is necessary to keep providing good care to nature has completely
fallen into ignorance during the materialism era." - Rudolf Steiner

Environmental Education Links & Resources in Canada and beyond
(primary, secondary, post-secondary, continuing)
http://planetfriendly.net/learn.html#ee

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at
GoodWorkCanada.ca.

3) EarthRUN School Day Coordinator, vol., Nova Scotia, NB or PEI

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

VOLUNTEER INTERNSHIP

Position: EarthRUN School Day Regional Coordinator
Location: Nova Scotia or New Brunswick or PEI (working from home)

School Program Regional Co-odinator - (Nova Scotia or New Brunswick or PEI)

The Earth Run Foundation is looking for an energetic communicator to work
closely with the Executive Director and Director of the School Day Program
for 5 months. This position will have you working on planning, coordinating
school events, marketing and promotion for the Earth Run Foundation's school
program in your major city area.

The role:

. Promoting and signing up schools for the School Day Program on the phone
and email.
. Planning and organizing your work and providing status updates.
. Providing Internet research on schools and groups to contact.
. Building relationships with sponsors and school event organizers.
. Developing and using existing marketing and promotional materials.

Qualifications:
. Passionate about the environment.
. Understanding or background in event management or marketing.
. Good written and oral communication in English.
. Well-organized, independent worker with good ideas and a "can do"
attitude.
. Can commit to this 5-month timeframe.

Ideally, you:
. Own a laptop and have Internet access.
. Have some experience with school events or running events.
. A good communicator, friendly, helpful.
. Might be in school, might not, but want experience.
. Are flexible, positive, patient and willing to learn.

Position is for 5 months. aprox. 5-10 hrs/week (flexible), working from
home, with a weekly update calls including all regional coordinators. Feb to
June 2012.

To apply: Please send your resume and tell us a little bit about yourself,
experience, goals, and why you want to work with Earth Run Foundation.
lorraine at earthrun.com. Please call if you would like to discuss this role.
(250) 589-2958

About the Earth Run Foundation: a registered charity that raises funds and
awareness for environmental initiatives since 2008. EarthRUN is a series of
green running events in cities, schools and communities across North
America, which educate and engage the public toward building green
communities and a healthy sustainable future. For more, visit
http://www.earthrun.com

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at
GoodWorkCanada.ca.

4) International Youth Internships, f/t, Guatemala, Central America

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS

Position: International Youth Internships (IYIP) (June 2012 to March 2013)
Type: full-time, with language training, stipend/expenses (see info package)
Location: Guatemala, Central America and Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

The Tatamagouche Centre's Breaking the Silence Program is pleased to
announce that we are now recruiting for our 2012-2013 CIDA International
Youth Internship Program.

The full job descriptions can be accessed on the CIDA website at:
http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/internships
They can also be accessed along with the application at:
http://www.tatacentre.ca/uploads/2012_TC_Intern_Application.pdf
To apply, the application must be completed in full and returned no later
than March 11, 2012.

The internships will begin in early June and will run until mid-late March.

This year we are recruiting for 8 positions:

. Technical Support Worker in Producation and Food Security -- The
Mesoamerican Permaculture Institute (IMAP), San Lucas Tolimán, Sololá

. Youth and Environment Trainer - Highlands' Committee of Peasant Farmers
(Comite Campesino del Altiplano -- CCDA), San Lucas Tolimán, Sololá

. Fair Trade Market Advisor - Highlands' Committee of Peasant Farmers
(Comite Campesino del Altiplano -- CCDA), San Lucas Tolimán, Sololá

. Health Promotion Educator - Kaqchikel Presbytery, Chimaltenango

. Advocacy and Communications Officer -- Ceiba Association, Chimaltenango

. Family Violence Prevention Education Officer - Asociación Bufete Jurídica
Popular (ABJP) -- Rabinal Community Legal Clinic - The Office of the Achi
Woman, Rabinal, Baja Verapaz

. Human Rights Legal Advisor - Asociación Bufete Jurídica Popular (ABJP) --
Rabinal Community Legal Clinic, Rabinal, Baja Verapaz

. Agricultual Producation Advisor -- New Hope Foundation -- Rabinal, Baja
Verapaz

If you have any questions or require further information, please contact
Wyanne Sandler at btsmaritimes at gmail.com or Jackie McVicar at
btsguatemala at gmail.com

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at
GoodWorkCanada.ca.

5)  Bicycle Nova Scotia Membership & Outreach Coordinator, Halifax, Nova
Scotia

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Bicycle Nova Scotia Membership and Outreach Coordinator
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Context:
Bicycle Nova Scotia has recently joined with the Nova Scotia Bikeways
Coalition and the Nova Scotia Mountain Bike Trails Association, which will
now be operating under the BNS framework. There is an increasing demand for
cycling infrastructure, organized rides, touring, recreation in the province
of Nova Scotia, and BNS with its expanded structure is well poised to grow
and begin to meet the need for a strong provincial cycling organization.

Job Description:
BNS is seeking a Membership and Outreach Coordinator to help grow our
membership, reach out to cyclists across the province, communicate with
member cycling clubs and develop an outreach and communications plan,
including social media and attending cycling events on behalf of BNS. The
Membership and Outreach Coordinator will report to a subcommittee of the BNS
board, and will also work closely with Eastwind Cycle staff who will be
working on cycling infrastructure projects. The position will be based at
the BNS offices on Spring Garden Road in Halifax.

Specific Tasks:
. Develop and coordinate BNS membership drive including managing online
membership
. Develop membership handbook.
. Develop and coordinate a BNS communications plan that includes all aspects
of the organization (racing, mountain bike trails, recreation, advocacy,
bikeways).
. Assist in developing a long-term fundraising plan for the organization so
that it may grow from a largely volunteer organization to a staffed
organization.
. Provide support for other bicycle clubs and organizations so that they are
able to carry out regional programming, advocacy and bicycle related
activities (i.e. communications support, insurance, logistics).
. Communicate BNS events on social media outlets, and update BNS website as
required.
. Assist in coordinating a one-day strategic planning event for BNS.
. Assist with and participate in the Nova Scotia Bicycle Summit.
. Assist BNS board in day-to-day activities.

Essential Skills:
. Knowledge and appreciation of cycling.
. Experience in a non-profit organization or experience in membership
development.
. Self-motivated, and ability to work independently but also able to ask
questions.
. Ability to organize and coordinate events.
. Excellent writing and communication skills.
. Networking.

Start Date: March 1st, 2012
Details: Hourly wage $18.00/hr 2.5 days / week for 1 year (position flexible
on timing, possibility for full time for first 4 months).
Position will be located at the Bicycle Nova Scotia office on Spring Garden
Road.

Please send cover letter and resume to staff at bicycle.ns.ca in one pdf
document by February 20th 2012.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at
GoodWorkCanada.ca.

6) Farm Apprentices (2), f/t, Bantry Bay Farm CSA, Saint Andrews, New
Brunswick

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Farm Apprentices (2)
Type: full-time apprentice/intern with meals, housing, stipend
Location: Saint Andrews, New Brunswick

Come join three young friends on our picturesque farm just outside the
historic town of St. Andrews-by-the-Sea, NB. Venturing into our seventh year
of farming we are growing two acres of mixed vegetables for an 85 share CSA,
the St. Andrews Farmer's market, and several local restaurants including The
Rossmount Inn and Savour (Family owned businesses aimed at celebrating what
can be done with the local bounty of this county). We have three
greenhouses/tunnels, a tractor, and 100 acres of hayfields, forest, ponds,
and sandy beach - it's only a five minute walk from hard work in the field
to a cool dip in the ocean! The local horse and donkey always welcome a
friendly visit, especially if you are holding carrots or apples. We invite
you to enjoy vegetarian meals with us in the farm house and take part in the
post-meal banter that is a part of our learning experience.

Accommodations can be a spare room in our house, a small bunk house next to
the farmhouse or a two bedroom house with kitchen and bathroom just a short
walk from the farmhouse.

When we aren't working directly with the soil and plants, we often have farm
related building projects on the go and enjoy other hobbies such as music,
board games, and pottery as well as swimming, climbing and outdoor games.

We love to share our ideas and experience with interested interns.
Apprentices will have an opportunity to work alongside the three of us, as
well as independently, learning about and taking part in all the tasks of a
farming season, such as:
- crop planning and planting
- CSA management
- balancing mental and physical health
- greenhouse management (four seasons)
- weed control and pest management
- irrigation
- crop specific practices
- record keeping
- harvesting and post-harvest handling for market and CSA
- teaching and leadership
- working with restaurants
- season extension
- how to start a farm (even with no previous farm experience)

We are looking for 1 or 2 apprentices who are self-motivated, take pride in
their work, and are passionate about sustainable farming and living. We
would like to host apprentices who can commit to staying for the whole
season (May-October). Our apprenticeship program aims to give you a well
rounded understanding of what it takes to operate a small scale farm and
provide a safe and fun learning environment to do it in.

A stipend will be available to those who can commit to at least 4 months and
a completion bonus available to those who can stay the whole season. The
stipend amount will be based on previous experience.

If you are interested in learning more, please contact Katherine at:
bantrbayfarm at gmail.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organic Jobs, Internships & Volunteering
GoodWork Canada http://goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php?theme=food
CRAFT (Ontario) http://www.craftontario.ca
SOIL (Canada) http://soilapprenticeships.org
FarmLink (Ontario) http://farmlink.net
ACORN (Atlantic Canada) http://acornorganic.org/training.html
Manitoba Farm Mentorships http://organicfoodcouncil.org/mentorship.html
Alberta Sustainable Agriculture Apprenticeship http://startfarming.ca
WWOOF (Worldwide) http://wwoof.ca and http://planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html

What is CSA / Community Shared Agriculture?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture
Google: http://google.ca/search?q=community+shared+agriculture
http://google.ca/search?q=community+supported+agriculture
News: http://news.google.ca/news?q=community+shared+agriculture+CSA
CSA's in Canada: http://planetfriendly.net/organic.html#csa

About Market Gardening
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_garden
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22market+gardening%22

Start Your Own Food/Gardening/Farming Business
http://goodworkcanada.ca/createyourowngreenjob
http://goodworkcanada.ca/createyourowngreenjob.html#f

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GOODWORK GREEN JOBS
http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting
motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be
employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any
green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on
an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and
Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content,
accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or
suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or
endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept
an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at
your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures
to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read
our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will
appear there.

GoodWork Canada
Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001
http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca