[Sust-mar] Cross-Cultural Training

Margaret Tusz-King mtk at eastlink.ca
Tue Jan 3 07:52:23 EST 2012

Peace and Friendship-Building
Foundations in Cross-Cultural Solidarity
February 10-12, 2012
Friday 7pm to Sunday 1pm
Tatamagouche Centre, NS

Are you moved to find ways to live reconciliation, following the recent
Truth and Reconciliation Commission hearings in Halifax? Are you
concerned about Aboriginal realities, such as we see at Attawapiskat?
Are you seeking and finding commonalities among Maritime and Aboriginal
threats? Do you want to build more supportive relationships across our
cultures, so that our original Treaty Vision of Peace and Friendship
together can finally be realized in our region?

This program is for anyone who would like to learn and build skills to
engage at the intersection of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people, on
current issues in the Maritimes.

gkisedtanamoogk teaches Native Studies at the University of Maine, is a
founder of the Aboriginal Rights Coalition - Atlantic, and worked for
many years on Lnapskuk - The Neighbours Project and the Peace and
Friendship Project. Margaret Tusz-King has worked with program
development with Tatamagouche Centre and with the United Church of
Canada, and worked with gkisedtanamoogk on Lnapskuk and the Peace and
Friendship Project. This cross-cultural team of educators has, between
them, decades of experience working at the community level on many
issues, including the Burnt Church fisheries crisis of 1999.

Spend the weekend with gisedtanamoogk and Margaret (and additional
resource people), to learn:

    * how our cultures got to this point together, after 500 years;
    * what our Treaties and legal obligations are, and what they mean
      for us in 2012;
    * key foundations and approaches to working cross-culturally;
    * effective educational and relationship-building processes
    * more about current issues, and how to work together on them

Many of us realize that it is time. Time to acknowledge and understand
our past. Time to open our eyes to current realities. And time to walk a
new path together, for the sake of the People and the Land.

Join with like-minded people, across our cultures, and participate in an
emerging movement of hope, courage and spirit.

Cost: $100* (includes meals, accommodation and program)
Note: registration is limited to 15 people, so please register early.

To register, or for more information, please contact Tatamagouche Centre
1-800-218-2220 or www.tatacentre.ca <http://www.tatacentre.ca>. Upon
registration, please let Katja know if you are willing to offer
carpooling, so that we can coordinate travel (and save costs/pollution!)
together.

*Special thanks to funding through the Peace and Friendship Project - a
partnership of Tatamagouche Centre and the Mennonite Central Committee,
along with the Aboriginal Rights Coalition - Atlantic and the United
Church of Canada. Additional bursaries may be available, so if this cost
is a hardship, please let us know and we will try to help you get here!

--
This message is only for those it is addressed to. If you have received this in error please delete immediately.