[Sust-mar] Pestilence, famine and climate change: Horseman of the Apocalypse

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 12 16:00:01 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

Those interested in climate change and its impact on invasive species
may be interested in my recent artcile:

	Pestilence, famine and climate change: Horseman of the Apocalypse
	http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/christophermajka/2012/06/pestilence-famine-and-climate-change-horseman-apocalypse

A new study indicates that climate change may set in motion an
unstoppable chain of events resulting in a 1930's-style dust bowl in
many areas of the earth and the submergence of coastal areas and
islands. Climate change also favours invasive species that can destroy
forests or agricultural crops.

Climate change represents a ticking time bomb, in relation to invasive
species and much else. The Canada we live in has taken 20,000 years -
since the end of the last glaciation - to reach an ecological
equilibrium. We've already significantly disturbed that equilibrium.
Once climate - the bedrock of the ecological world - begins to change,
all bets are off as to where this may lead. It is critical that we
take all possible measures to minimize climate change. The costs of
not taking action will certainly greatly exceed those of doing so.

Best wishes,

Chris

Christopher Majka
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you
believe in it - Neil deGrasse Tyson