[Sust-mar] APPLY BY JULY 15: Looking for facilitators and presenters impacted by climate injustice and/or working for social change

Kaleigh McGregor-Bales halifax.yag at syc-cjs.org
Tue Jun 19 11:13:59 EDT 2012

*Please forward this call-out** to and strongly encourage anyone to apply
who you think could contribute to PowerShift 2012 by sharing their story
and perspectives as a presenter or their skills as a facilitator.*

We Want YOU to be a facilitator, speaker, and/or presenter at PowerShift
2012 in Ottawa.

We are contacting you to join us in educating, training and mobilizing our
generation in the fight for climate justice. We are currently seeking
panelists, speakers, workshop facilitators, and caucus facilitators for
PowerShift 2012.  Scroll to bottom for direct links to application forms.

What is PowerShift?

>From October 26-29, PowerShift 2012 Canada will bring 1500 youth (age
18-30) from diverse backgrounds together in Ottawa to build a movement for
climate and environmental justice.

Through keynote speakers, workshops, caucuses, panel discussions, actions,
and many other activities, participants will develop their understanding
about the intersections between environmental and social justice issues,
and build a range of skills for taking action, and gain the connections and
confidence to mobilize in their communities.  For more information on
PowerShift, visit our website at wearepowershift.ca<http://wearepowershit.ca>
.

If you are interested in attending PowerShift, and whether or not you
intend to apply as a facilitator or speaker, you can follow us on our
website <http://wearepowershit.ca>,
twitter<https://twitter.com/#%21/PowerShiftCAN>,
and facebook <http://www.facebook.com/PowerShiftCanada>. Registration will
be opening in late July.

If you are interesting in participating in PowerShift programming in
another way that is not described below (ie. entertainment, art project,
etc.) please email powershift.programming at gmail.com.

Why do we need you?

Your skills and experience could contribute to making PowerShift 2012 an
engaging and effective learning, training, and networking opportunity. We
are particularly looking for speakers and facilitators living on the
frontlines of fossil fuel extraction and other climate injustices, folks
from underrepresented communities, people with successful campaigning
experience, and/or youth who are dedicated and ready to learn!  While
PowerShift itself is focused on youth, we are not exclusively looking for
youth speakers, presenters, and facilitators, and instead want to encourage
intergenerational learning.

How do I sign-up?

We encourage anyone who is interested in sharing their skills, experience,
or story to apply to speak or facilitate at PowerShift.  Much of the
framework for our programming has already been created through
consultations with dedicated volunteers and other community members, so we
are mostly looking for speakers and facilitators who can offer workshops or
presentations within what we are looking for.  That being said, PowerShift
is going to be a huge gathering and we are looking for an incredibly broad
range of different things!  Also, if you have something to offer that falls
completely outside of the framework we are looking at, while it is less
likely to get chosen for this particular event, it will definitely still be
considered.

Below (scroll down) we describe the four different types of sessions we are
looking for speakers and facilitators for – Skills-based workshops, speakers
and panelists (both for “frontline” and “digging deeper”, issues-based
panels), Issues-based workshops, and Caucuses (for caucuses we encourage
suggestions from people who would prefer not to facilitate themselves as
well).  Each of the four session types has a separate form for prospective
facilitators and speakers to fill-out that can be found below.  The form
shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes to fill out.  If interested, you are
encouraged to apply for multiple session types or workshops / topics in the
same type.  Please fill out a separate form for each application (with the
exception of the speaker / panelist form, where you can list all topics you
are comfortable speaking on).

Also, we have a minimal budget; however, we are willing to work with chosen
speakers and facilitators who need help with funding their transportation.
 Small honorariums will also be available for presenters and facilitators
depending on need.

We are looking forward to your application(s)!

Skill-Based Workshop Facilitators:

Skill-based workshops will give participants the skills and confidence to
step into new roles as strategizers, trainers, spokespeople, advocates,
educators, media liaisons, action organizer, facilitators, and more. The
skill-based workshops will also develop participants understanding of
strategy, creative action, anti-oppression, and democratic and horizontal
organizing. Here is a <http://bit.ly/KuCx4q> list <http://bit.ly/KuCx4q> of
many of the workshops we are particularly looking for facilitators for
(this list is by no means exhaustive).

We are looking for people with experience facilitating workshops related to
social action skills or people with extensive experience with the
particular skill itself who are willing to dedicate some time into planning
an effective workshop. To be accepted, workshops must be engaging,
accessible, and develop skills relevant to the
vision<http://www.wearepowershift.ca/vision-statement>of PowerShift.

If you are interested in facilitating a skills-based workshop please fill
out this form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHdZUGpPQlV6b1hIM2ttZ3cycFFIWEE6MQ#gid=0>
.

Speakers and Panelists:

At PowerShift 2012 participants will learn more about issues facing our
generation through engaging panels.

There will be “Frontline” panel discussions about the impacts of climate
change and toxic development on communities that are directly impacted, as
well as on how these communities and their allies are mobilizing in
response. The panelists for these will come from communities directly
impacted by climate change and/or toxic development.  Here is a
list<http://bit.ly/LYVmgC>of “frontline” panel topics we are
particularly looking for speakers for
(this list is by no means exhaustive).

There will also be “Digging Deeper” panels will look at how different
issues link and overlap with climate justice, current science and policy,
real solutions to the climate crisis, and/or how we can mobilize
internationally, nationally, and in our communities to make these solutions
a reality. Here is a list <http://bit.ly/M5iI0l> of “digging deeper” panel
topics we are particularly looking for speakers for (this list is by no
means exhaustive).

Fill out this form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHZlc3FyNkszSW1PYjRnbUpkUHJhTUE6MA#gid=0>if
you are interested in speaking on a panel at PowerShift 2012.

Issue-Based Workshop Facilitators:

While most content related to specific issues will be delivered through
panels, there will be some opportunities for issue-based workshops where
participants will dig deeper into issues facing our generation (ie. climate
change and agriculture or climate and migrant justice). Here is a
list<http://bit.ly/M5iI0l>of issue-based workshop topics we are
particularly looking for facilitators
for (this list is by no means exhaustive).

If you are interested in facilitating an issue-based workshop please fill
out this form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGhUT1J0bUVpY21wcm1GSjBUYnpSSHc6MA#gid=0>
.

Caucuses:

Caucuses are facilitated discussions or meet-ups based on particular
topics, questions or identities. For example, Racialized Participant
caucus; Safe(r) Spaces: Accountability and addressing violence in our
movements caucus; LGBTQ+ meet and greet. We want to hear from what what
caucuses you want to see at PowerShift 2012. Here is a
list<http://bit.ly/NCfuqC>,
that is by no means exhaustive, of some of the caucus ideas that the
PowerShift programming team had.  For caucuses in particular, we encourage
you to submit any other ideas that you have for caucuses (meaning caucuses
that you would be interested in attending), whether they are on our list or
not.

This form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGRMVkY3dnphX1g1MWZxT25iOGdKZFE6MA#gid=0>will
let you indicate a caucus that you want to see at PowerShift 2012 and
will let you indicate if you want to facilitate the caucus.

Links to all forms:

Skill-based workshops - http://tiny.cc/9hfyfw

Panelists and speakers - http://tiny.cc/6bfyfw

Issue-based workshops - http://tiny.cc/19eyfw

Caucuses - http://tiny.cc/fdfyfw

We look forward to working with you. PLEASE SHARE THIS CALL-OUT WIDELY.

We are sorry for cross-posting, we want this spread widely.