[Sust-mar] Thermometer rising: Ice, methane and climate change

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed May 16 11:58:19 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

Those who are interested in environmental and climate change issues
may be interested in my recent (published yesterday) article for
Rabble.ca, Thermometer rising: Ice, methane and climate change (Nova
Scotians will doubtless recognize the allusion to Hugh MacLennan. ;~>):

	Thermometer rising: Ice, methane and climate change
	http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/christophermajka/2012/05/thermometer-rising-ice-methane-and-climate-change

Are dire warnings of climate change warranted? Declining arctic sea
ice and increasing methane emissions indicate they are.

With climatologists such James Hansen, director of the NASA Goddard
Institute for Space Studies, warning that 50 percent of plant species
could become extinct and that human civilization is at risk, and the
Arctic Emergency Methane Group warning of worldwide crop failures and
the collapse of civilization, one might reasonably expect that
politicians would respond with serious attention – and action. So, why
is the silence deafening?

While civilization nears a precipice, political leaders are speeding
up the pace at which we are racing towards the cliff.

In this article I examine recent data on diminishing arctic sea ice
and increasing levels of methane emissions to develop a better
understanding of what's in store for the world in the event that we
fail to grapple with this serious issue.

Best wishes,

Chris

Christopher Majka
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca

It's true we're on the wrong track, but we're compensating for this
short-coming by accelerating. - Stanislav Lec