[Sust-mar] Job posting - Young Naturalists Club program coordinator(Halifax)
pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 13 19:25:49 EST 2012
Program Coordinator - Young Naturalists Club
The Young Naturalists Club (YNC) of Nova Scotia is a fun, free nature club for kids. During monthly meetings, YNC members hear from fascinating guest speakers about a variety of natural history topics. On monthly field trips, members explore wild areas and natural history institutions on guided hikes and tours. The Club instills a passion for nature in its members, and enables mentors with natural history knowledge to pass on their skills and experiences to the next generation of naturalists.
The YNC has been operating successfully in Halifax for 6 years, and there are now 4 other chapters started in other Nova Scotian communities. The YNC Coordinator will be responsible for administration and promotion of the YNC at the provincial level, and supporting local chapters in their growth.
The YNC is looking for a Program Coordinator to cover a 5 month leave of absence. The ideal candidate will have a passion for getting kids into nature, will be very self-motivated, be an excellent networker, have strong communication skills, as well as a variety of other skills.
- Program coordination experience, including experience in budgeting and accounting, report writing, grant writing, and outreach and communications.
- Undergraduate degree in environmental education, biological sciences, education, or related field.
- Experience in, or strong interest in, nature and/or science interpretation.
- Good motivator of youth and adults - the YNC Coordinator must inspire and support volunteers and volunteer leaders in communities.
- Marketing and promoting the YNC.
- Writing grant proposals and forging corporate funding partnerships.
- Budgeting and accounting.
- Engaging local naturalists in sharing their knowledge at YNC meetings and field trips.
- Managing the YNC website, email, and communications.
- Aid new chapters with promoting events, finding guest speakers, managing funds, and finding resources.
- Liaising with the YNC Board and/or past YNC Coordinator.
- Attending monthly meetings for environmental educators.
- Researching nature education resources.
- Showcasing local outdoor and/or environmental education opportunities to YNC families.
Salary, benefits, and working conditions:
- $17.50/hour for 20 hours/week. This is a contract position (no E.I. deductions, no health benefits).
- Position starts as soon as possible, with December 15 as the latest potential start date. Contract runs until May 15, 2013.
- 8 days paid vacation, in addition to statutory holidays.
- Must be willing to travel within the province, and to work occasionally on weekends.
- Currently, there is no office space for this position. The selected candidate would have to work from a home office, or find suitable office space. The position is based in Halifax.
- The selected candidate would work under the guidance of the board of directors, and the past YNC Coordinator. The past YNC Coordinator is locally available to help with the transition.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter before November 24 to yncns at yahoo.ca. Phone interviews will take place the follow week during the evenings.
YNC Board President and Interim YNC Coordinator
yncns at yahoo.ca
More information about the sust-mar