[Sust-mar] What Would Jesus Buy and Christmas Free Swap

Anne Levesque levesque.anne at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 07:26:13 EST 2013

 WHAT WOULD JESUS BUY? and CHRISTMAS SWAP

on Wednesday December 11th at the  Whycocomagh Education Centre.

Swap begins at 5:30  Film screens at 6:30 (suggested donation $2)

Bring your good used items (clothing, books, DVD's, CD's, household wares)
for the swap.  Any remaining items will be donated to the Cottage Workshop
in Inverness.

WHAT WOULD JESUS BUY? is a docu-comedy produced by Morgan Spurlock and
directed by Rob VanAlkemade about the commercialization of Christmas. Bill
Talen (aka Reverend Billy) was a lost idealist who hitchhiked to New York
City only to find that Times Square was becoming a mall. In 1999 he became
the Reverend Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping. Through retail
interventions, corporate exorcisms, and some good old-fashioned preaching,
Reverend Billy reminds us that we have lost the true meaning of Christmas. The
film focuses on the role sweat-shops play in mass consumerism in North
America, globalization, and the business practices of large corporations,
using humour to encourage us to reflect on how all of this affects our
lives.

 Hosted by Inverness County chapter of the Council of Canadians and Cinema
Politica.