[Sust-mar] Visitor Services, UNESCO World Heritage Site, Nova Scotia
GoodWork Green Jobs
p2 at planetfriendly.net
Sun Feb 3 08:55:56 EST 2013
[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWork.ca ]
Position: Visitor Services Associate
Organization: Joggins Fossil Institute http://jogginsfossilcliffs.net/institute/jobs/
Location: Joggins, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia
We are looking for Visitor Services Associates to work with us at the Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site.
We have student and term positions available. The anticipated start date is May 6, 2013 and with anticipated end dates between the end of August and end of October.
Hours per Week: 30 hours week (minimum) -- 37.5 hours week (maximum)
Wage: $ 11.00 / hour
Visitor Service Associates (VSA) assist in enhancing visitor experiences at the Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Joggins Fossil Centre. The VSA will address visitor inquiries and provide assistance with admissions, retail services, Roundhouse Cafe sales and service, catering, hospitality and tourism visitor information services. They will also greet visitor and offer orientation of the Site, Centre and organization. All Visitor Services Associates will have a role to play in ensuring safe visitation to the Joggins Fossil Centre and site.
As part of the Visitor Services team, all team members will gain experience and training in the provision of excellent customer service, become familiar with operations at the Fossil Centre, learn to identify common safety issues when working with the public and gain knowledge of a wide range of facts on the local area, region , province, world heritage and the Joggins Fossil Institute.
1. Acting as the first point of contact for all visitors, answering questions and providing orientation to the site and its facilities.
2. Using an IT-based point of sale system and ensuring familiarity and confidence in the system.
3. Cash handling and assisting with reconciling sales transactions.
4. Assisting with Admissions, selling tours, advising on rates for admission, and taking payment.
5. Advising on additional services, including, but not limited to: guided tours, exhibitions, group bookings, the Roundhouse Cafe and answering questions about the local areas amenities, facilities and features.
6. Taking bookings for guided tours in person and by phone/email, ensuring that all paperwork is completed, payments taken and participants have the necessary to prepare for their tour.
7. Provide safety and stewardship advice, which includes tide times and information on site stewardship and legislation.
8. Provide assistance in the Roundhouse Cafe in the form of point of sales, preparing and service food and beverages, set-up and clean up of the Cafe as well as set-up, clean up and service of catered functions.
9. Providing tourism visitor information services.
10. Inspecting and maintaining visitor and staff areas to ensure cleanliness, safety standards and regulations are exceeded and to report any shortfalls.
11. Know and adhere to provincial legislation and JFI policies and procedures.
12. Assist in maintaining and updating stats, data entry and keeping accurate records of visitors.
13. Assist with general office duties, office systems and organisation as required.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
Must be enrolled in a relevant post-secondary program (unless you apply for a term position specifically)
Experience in customer service preferably retail, tourism or hospitality based.
Completion of Criminal Record Search and Child Abuse Registry (done after recruitment)
Training or equivalent experience using computers and office equipment is essential.
Completion of relevant certifications, i.e. Super Host, Food Service, WHMS etc.
Preferred Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Knowledge of or ability to learn quickly about the Joggins Fossil Cliffs, World Heritage and the local area and the ability to convey this to visitors.
Previous retail, food and beverage / catering, hospitality and tourism experience and/or training.
Ability to work efficiently alone with limited supervision as well as in a team environment.
Excellent communication, public speaking and presentation skills with the ability to deliver clear and concise information.
Ability to understand tide times and weather reports.
Ability to remain composed during high-pressure situations while prioritizing and remaining professional at all times.
Capable of working flexible hours including most weekends, holidays and some evenings.
Strong organizational skills and abilities.
Ability to stand for extended periods of time and lift up to 25 lbs.
Critical Success Factors
A committed team-worker, who is passionate about their personal and professional development.
The ability to learn and to present acquired knowledge on to third parties.
Positive attitude, friendly and self-confident nature.
Patience to deal calmly with continual demands of customers and staff.
Flexible, punctual, professional, reliable and not afraid of change.
Alert mind with an attention to detail.
Ability to cope with stress and resolve conflict.
Comfortable with multitasking and taking initiative and responsibility.
Closing Date: Friday, February 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM (March 1 for term positions)
Please submit an official application form, cover letter and resume via email (preferred method) to Stephanie Viera, Operations Manager at operations at jogginsfossilcliffs.net, via fax at 902-251-2502 or by mail to:
Joggins Fossil Institute
100 Main Street
Joggins, Nova Scotia B0L 1A0
The official application form is available to download on the Joggins Fossil Cliffs website at http://jogginsfossilcliffs.net/institute/jobs/ .
Incomplete application will not be accepted.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at http://GoodWork.ca .
GOODWORK GREEN JOBS
Like us on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/goodworkcanada
Follow GoodWork on twitter http://twitter.com/CanadaGreenJobs
Subscribe at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
GoodWork is Canada's green, environmental job site. Since 2001 we've been connecting motivated, green-minded Canadians to sustainable job opportunities. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.
Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html
This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.
Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001
Listing ID: 19206
More information about the sust-mar