[Sust-mar] Helpers, vol., Millennium Gardens Farm, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Sat Feb 16 13:33:38 EST 2013

[as posted to http://GoodWork.ca/vol ]

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY

Role: Volunteer Helpers
Host: Millennium Gardens Farm
Location: Queens County, Nova Scotia

We are excited to get growing and expanding for Spring 2013! And we would love to have you come stay with us for a while and help us grow. Come learn from us and with us, as we hope to learn from you.

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

We are looking for energetic and physically fit individuals or couples willing to volunteer labour in return for free stay from mid March to late September. We would love to have steady folks for a couple of weeks but we are flexible and can provide for a few days or two to three months.

In return for your work we will provide free room and board, and meals for the length of your stay.

Wireless Internet, and access to TV, phone and laundry

Access to a decent book collection

Flexible 5-6 hours per work day evenings are free and days off need to be flexible especially when the greenhouses are open to public.

For travel around our small village you are welcome to use our bicycles -- we have a canoe for the river and a boat for the ocean. You are welcome to come with us when we take a trip to the ocean for free time occasionally.

For other travel we are most willing to take you into town for personal banking and shopping, we make frequent trips for supplies, etc. Occasionally we will share with you and help you experience our wonderful surrounding communities during free time.

We can pick you up at airport or the train station which, is about a 2 hour drive from our place.

WHO WE ARE

Millennium Gardens Farm is located in picturesque Mill Village, Nova Scotia.
We are small and diverse farm on 20 acres of rolling rocky woodlands nestled along the beautiful Medway River.

We have a small goat herd of 20+ and looking to expand. We have 12 piglets, laying hens for eggs, meat chickens and turkeys. And we can't forget our 2 dogs and 2 cats.

>From the end of April to October we operate a small garden shop and 2 large greenhouses and in March we are getting ready to plant bedding and veggie plants, floral baskets and containers for sale in spring.

We plant a number of gardens - the end produce is sold or used in process and some for personal use.

We have a growing customer base for our farm goods. We sell on site and at local Farmer's Markets

We are not a huge mechanical farming operation and nor do we want to be, but we are of a size that would offer opportunity to have hands-on experience for animal husbandry, building repairs, fencing, greenhouse operation, small farm management, marketing, and so much more.

Our farm is growing and we are very much about living off the land to the best of our ability - our goal is to be a part of our communities food sustainability / security, we are environmentally conscious and practice as much as possible good stewardship to the land - adding to that, we hope to provide and teach any experiences and skills we have acquired over the years of homesteading.

Should you stay with us some of the work you will be part of: seeding and planting, greenhouse sales and farm markets, caring for birds & animals and basic barn chores. Fencing, yard work, barn repair, roofing, field preparation and seeding. You may be part of humane butchering and preparing meats for sale. You may be involved in the planning and construction of a small processing facility.

This spring we will be hosting an event at our farm with other entrepreneurs, and featuring local musicians. You may be part of that event planning and hosting.

Some of the skills sets you could learn with us basic carpentry, chain saw operation, using a tractor, gardening, greenhouse operation, animal husbandry, butchering, barn maintenance, building and planning, fencing, food preparation and storage, business planning, and many other skill sets we can share.

Over and above the farming and building experience we have beautiful surroundings and what we feel are very comfortable accommodations.

WHAT TO THINK ABOUT

Personal things and stuff you should consider - paying for your travel here - having personal money to provide for personal necessities, suitable work clothes - sturdy footwear, warm clothes and rain gear if needed. Having a casual/ dressy outfit is always good. Personal hygiene supplies, and required medication. Having a knowledge of basic first aid, work place safety and whimis is good but not required

You may want to bring along musical instruments - we get together with musical friends often.

If you draw, paint, knit, do woodworking, beading or any other craft feel free to bring along (we have a small collection of various book titles and we have various skills and stuffs for country living crafts)

Things you should know:

The weather here varies - and with the ever changing climate can be unpredictable - the coming spring we can expect some strong winds and rain with cool temps - May to June can be warm and sunny to rainy. July to September can be hot.

We are a bit off the beaten path our nearest neighbours are 2-3km in either direction although at low water you could swim across the river and be in the village in 10 minutes. (that doesn't happen often) We live in a very wooded area - so there can be much wildlife around at times. We live along the Medway River. We are in close proximity to various lakes, coastline and beaches, beautiful parks and we have a rich history and culture.

We are about 4km from the little community we live in. Our community has a small store/café, two Churches a small elementary school and Fire Department. We are 20km from our Town of Liverpool and about 40 km from the Town of Bridgewater. We live outside of the City of Halifax which is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from our place.

Please contact us via email, attention Vicki vp.rad at ns.sympatico.ca include resume and any particulars you may want share or questions you have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organic & Local Food Jobs, Internships, Opportunities
GoodWork Canada http://goodwork.ca/foodjobs
Grow a Farmer (Atlantic Canada) http://growafarmer.ca
CRAFT (Ontario) http://craftontario.ca  FarmLink http://farmlink.net
Fermier de famille, Quebec http://equiterre.org/solution/fermier-de-famille
SOIL (Canada) http://soilapprenticeships.org
WWOOF (Worldwide) http://wwoof.ca and http://planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html
Start Your Own Farm or Garden http://goodwork.ca/createyourowngreenjob#food

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at http://GoodWork.ca .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GOODWORK GREEN JOBS
http://GoodWork.ca

Like us on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/goodworkcanada
Follow GoodWork on twitter http://twitter.com/CanadaGreenJobs
Subscribe at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
    or: http://planetfriendly.net/goodworksubscribe.html

GoodWork is Canada's green, environmental job site. Since 2001 we've been connecting motivated, green-minded Canadians to sustainable job opportunities. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.