[Sust-mar] 4th Annual Halifax Oceans Film Festival (HOFF)

Val Kendall valkendall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:36:59 EDT 2013

4th ANNUAL HALIFAX OCEANS FILM FESTIVAL

June 12th - Bayers Lake Empire Theatres, 7pm
June 19th - Natural History Museum, 7pm
June 26th - Bayers Lake Empire Theatres, 7pm

This festival will provide Halifax with an exciting selection of oceans-themed
films.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

HALIFAX—NOVA SCOTIA—June 4th, 2013—The International Ocean Institute
(IOI-Canada) along with its partners (WWF-Canada, Canadian Wildlife
Federation, Ecology Action Centre, Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society –
Nova Scotia Chapter, Museum of Natural History, Maritime Museum of the
Atlantic, Marine Affairs – Dalhousie University) are proud to present its
4th Annual Halifax Oceans Film Festival (HOFF) in June 2013! The festival
will take place on three consecutive Wednesday evenings in June, and will
feature film screenings, short presentations, and time for open discussion.
Its goal is to educate and inspire individuals about ocean and coastal
issues that are ongoing in the world around us and to promote responsible
ocean governance and the stewardship and sustainable use of coastal and
ocean resources in Canada.

The HOFF will kick off on June 12th with a documentary called *The Last
Ocean*. The Ross Sea, Antarctica is the world’s most untouched and intact
marine ecosystem. Scientists describe it as a ‘living laboratory’, a place
that can teach us about the workings of all marine ecosystems. But the
fishing industry has now found its way to the Ross Sea, targeting Antarctic
toothfish and unless fishing is stopped the natural balance of this unique
ecosystem will be lost forever. Help us save The Last Ocean! Venue: Bayer's
Lake Empire Theatres.

The second evening, on June 19th, we will be having the 2nd annual evening
of Local Shorts and Stories! This year, we will show Canadian stories about
the coast and oceans. More information about this event will be available
soon on our website. Venue: NS Museum of Natural History

On the final evening, June 26th, will feature a brilliant documentary, *Planet
Ocean*. It captures the extraordinary images of our remarkable oceans – the
source of all life on our planet – and aims to explain some of the planet’s
greatest natural mysteries and highlights how essential it is that mankind
learns to live in harmony with our oceans. Venue: Bayer's Lake Empire
Theatres

All events are free to attend and start at 7pm. Each evening will have a
short talk from a knowledgeable speaker. More details will be released in
the coming weeks.

For more information about the IOI and the HOFF, please visit:

http://halifaxoceanfilmfest.ca
https://www.facebook.com/HalifaxOceansFilmFestival
http://internationaloceaninstitute.dal.ca/

Contact Information: