[Sust-mar] PEI ADAPT AGM

Phil Ferraro adapt at pei.aibn.com
Sat Mar 2 12:27:16 EST 2013

RE: PEI ADAPT Council AGM/Conference,

The PEI ADAPT Council invites you to our combined annual general meeting
and conference.
This year, our business meeting will be from 8:30am to 9:30am on
Wednesday March 27th.
Our annual conference, which we hope you will attend, begins at 10:00
a.m.; at the Farm Centre 420 University Avenue, Charlottetown.
This year, the Conference theme, ‘Innovations in the Garden Province’
will feature emerging young farmers who will speak of the challenges and
opportunities they face as they build a career in Island agriculture.
We will also be unveiling PEI Farm Works Investment Cooperative, which
we plan to become the Island’s first ‘Community Economic Development
Business,’ connecting people to local investment opportunities that can
have a positive impact on our regional agri-economy.
Dr. Ralph Martin will also join us, via Skype. Dr. Martin recently moved
from the Nova Scotia Agriculture College to the University of Guelph,
where he is the Loblaw Sustainability Research Chair.
As always, we will also feature a select few of the many innovative
projects ADAPT has funded which are helping to build prosperity on
Prince Edward Island.
This year’s keynote speaker is Mike O’Brien, co-chair of the PEI Energy
Commission. Mr. O’Brien will discuss the recommendations tabled in the
Commission’s recent report and its suggestions for purchasing a portion
of Maritime Electric and investing in renewable energy; and its
potential impact for Island agriculture and agri-food.
The format for the day will include stimulating presentations followed
by discussions on revitalizing our food system and the agricultural
economy. This will be an excellent opportunity to network with others
and help bring forth a new vision of our agricultural future.
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS FREE and is open to anyone with an interest
in the future of the Island’s agricultural and agri-food production.
However, pre-registration is necessary as space is limited.
Please pre-register by calling: 368-2005 or by email: phil at peiadapt.com
We look forward to seeing you there!
Sincerely,

Elmer MacDonald, Chair PEI ADAPT Council
Innovations in the Garden Province

PEI ADAPT Council
Annual General Meeting
March 27, 2013

8:30 - 9:30 a.m. ADAPT Business Meeting

10:00 Welcome - Elmer MacDonald, Chair

10:00 - 10:45 Panel Presentation:
Emerging Faces of Island Agriculture - Priorities, Opportunities, Threats
Patrick Dunphy, President, PEI Young Farmers
Carey Wood, Olde MacKenzie Farm - From Ontario to PEI
Soliel Hutchinson, Value Chain Marketing (tbc)
Bradford Rooney, Field Project Manager, PEI Berries Ltd.

10:45 - 11:30 ADAPT Council Project Expo:
PEI Horticulture Assn. Wireworm Update
PEI Brewing Company - Micro-Malting Value Chain
Certified Organic Producers - Organic Soil Amendment Field Trials

11:30 - 12:00 Innovative Financing -
Farm Works Investment Cooperatives
Linda Best, Nova Scotia Farm Works
Phil Ferraro, Prince Edward Island Farm Works

12:00 - 12:45 Lunch
Launch - ‘Taste Our Island Award’ 2013

12:45 - 1:15 Innovations in Sustainable Research for P.E.I.
Dr. Ralph Martin, Loblaw Research Chair; Univ. of Guelph

1:30 - 2:15 Panel Presentation:
Innovations in Product and Market Development
Kevin MacIssac, United Potato Producers
Scott Dingwell, Home Town Pork

2:15 - 2:45 Innovative Solutions to Electric Security and Consumption
Mike O’Brien, Co-Chair, PEI Energy Commission

--

Phil Ferraro, Executive Director, P.E.I. ADAPT Council
c/o The Farm Centre, 420 University Avenue, Room 103

The Mission of the PEI ADAPT Council is to assist the agriculture and agri-food industry adapt to new challenges and opportunities and support innovative ways of doing business.
Since 1999, the  Council has invested over $1 million/year, to enhance the vision of an innovative, sustainable and competitive industry on Prince Edward Island.