[Sust-mar] 32 Upcoming Community Events for Peace, Earth & Justice

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Thu Mar 21 00:02:13 EDT 2013

32 UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS FOR PEACE, EARTH & JUSTICE

International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination on March 21!
http://www.un.org/en/events/racialdiscriminationday/

Happy World Water Day on March 22!
http://www.unwater.org/water-cooperation-2013/events/world-water-day/en/

Earth Hour this Saturday at 8:30 p.m.

(1)
PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS? CANADA'S DEVELOPMENT NGOS FROM IDEALISM TO IMPERIALISM Author and Journalist Dru Oja Jay Thursday, March 21
12:00-1:30 p.m.
Room 204, Weldon Law Building, Dalhousie University, Halifax Author and Journalist Dru Oja Jay will speak about his new book "Paved with Good Intentions: Canada's development NGOs from Idealism to Imperialism (Fernwood Publishing, 2012)." In 1988 a Parliamentary report declared, "NGOs are as Canadian as hockey". Few institutions embody the image of Canada's international benevolence like non-governmental organizations devoted to development abroad. But do the actions of Canadian non-governmental organizations (NGOs) genuinely match this perception? Ranging from poverty in Africa to turmoil in Haiti, from Israeli-Palestinian peace talks to the Afghanistan war, the "Paved with Good Intentions" uncovers the darker side of the role played by NGOs.  Dru Oja Jay will also discuss the impacts of the Harper government's recent funding cuts to progressive NGOs which is just the latest in a long history of disciplining NGOs that criticize the government's destructive extraction, profiteering & neoliberalism agenda. Jay will critically examine the integration between the Canadian military and aid workers overseas and the new trend of public-private partnerships for aid projects that support Canadian mining activities abroad.

BIO: Dru Oja Jay is a Montreal-based writer and organizer. He is co-founder of the Media Co-op, a founding editor of the Dominion, and a long-time solidarity activist. Dru is a co-author of "Offsetting Resistance", a report about the effects of foundation funding on environmental NGOs. His latest book is "Paved with Good Intentions: Canada's development NGOs from Idealism to Imperialism."

Free public event. Books will be available for sale.
Hosted by the Halifax Peace Coalition the Halifax Media Coop, and the Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group. Co-sponsored by Dalhousie University's International Development Studies and the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies.
Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/129302633918932/
For more information, please visit: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca AND http://www.pavedwithgoodintentions.ca/

(2)
THERE'S LEAD IN YOUR LIPSTICK: TOXINS IN EVERYDAY BODY CARE AND HOW TO AVOID THEM
March 21.     Gillian Deacon,  author and broadcaster
7:00 p.m. on Thursday night in Ondaatje Hall, 6135 University Avenue, Marion McCain Arts & Social Sciences building. Dalhousie University, Halifax.
All welcome. Free of charge. Limited seating -- please arrive early.
Award-winning broadcaster and bestselling author Gillian Deacon is one of Canada’s best-known environmental writers.  She is the author of the national bestsellers There’s Lead in Your Lipstick: Toxins in Everyday Bodycare and How to Avoid Them (Penguin, 2011), and Green For Life (Penguin, 2008), a guide to making sustainable living ‘the new normal.’
http://www.dal.ca/faculty/sustainability/news-events/ess-lecture-series-schedule.html
Co-sponsored with the Environmental Law Students Society

(3)
“RESPONDING TO THE CHALLENGE OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN SMALL ISLAND ECONOMIES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CASE OF ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES.”
Join the SMU IDS Program in welcoming, Cecil Ryan, Managing Director, Projects Promotion Limited, an NGO promoting leadership and participatory development for the Caribbean people.
Mar 22 at 12 pm in MM227 Main Building, Saint Mary’s University, Halifax WWW.SMU.CA/IDS INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT STUDIES

(4)
SAINT MARY’S PANEL DISCUSSION ON RACISM FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A NOVA SCOTIAN March 22 The United Nations’ International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed with a series of events and activities worldwide. The day aims to remind people of racial discrimination’s negative consequences and impact on their communities. It also encourages people to remember their obligation and determination to combat racial discrimination. Students, faculty and staff are invited to attend Saint Mary’s Panel Discussion on Racism from the perspective of a Nova Scotian in the Scotia Bank Theatre, Saint Mary’s University from 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. This inspirational discussion will showcase RCMP Sergeant Craig Smith’s and Professor Patty Doyle-Bedwell’s knowledge and their experience with Racism in Nova Scotia. More info: www.smu.ca

(5)
FILM SCREENING: Bottled Life: The Truth About Nestlé’s Business with Water Bottled water: should it be in your bag, on your desk, at your local community event? As we approach World Water Day on March 22 and Bottled Water Free Day on March 18, The South Shore Chapter of the Council of Canadians, in partnership with Cinema Politica, presents a thought-provoking look at the implications of bottling and selling the earth's most precious resource. The documentary Bottled Life: The Truth About Nestlé’s Business with Water will be shown at the Mahone Bay Centre on Friday, March 15 at 7:00pm. Admission is free. Everyone welcome. For more information: southshore.coc at gmail.com or 527-2928

(6)
EARTH HOUR
8:30 – 9:30 p.m. this Saturday, March 23
Turn off the lights. Turn off the power. Take action on climate change. Join the worldwide movement.
http://www.earthhour.org/

(7)
PUBLIC PANEL “WATER IS MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD”
When: Sunday March 24th, 7 PM
Where: Dalhousie, Weldon Law Building, room 104, 6061 University Ave.
Learn the negative impacts of Goldcorp mining in El Salvador from Sandra Ausencio, community advocate, educator and environmentalist from El Salvador working with the National Roundtable Against Metallic Mining in El Salvador (La Mesa). Sandra highlights the dangers Canadian mining companies, including Pacific Rim and Goldcorp, pose to people, water, and the environment in El Salvador and beyond.
Cleve Higgins, whose family Christmas tree farm is being expropriated for a gold mine in NS will be a responder.
Sponsors of this international speaking tour include:
KAIROS Canada, MiningWatch Canada, Breaking the Silence, Council of Canadians, the United Church of Canada, the Natural Resources Council of Maine, and Salvaide.
Contact for more info: Angela Giles agiles at canadians.org
Plan to come; spread the word!

(8)
INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR THE ELIMINATION OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION SERVICE
MARCH 24
Annual service to commemorate the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination will be held at Cornwallis St Baptist Church, 5457 Cornwallis Street, Halifax on Sunday March 24 at 10:45 am.

 (9)
CELEBRATE A CULTURE OF COMPASSION
March 24, 2013
Rosaria, Student Centre, Multipurpose Room, MSVU, Halifax
Event Time 1-5pm .
The Celebration brings together a wide range of local and regional individuals and community groups, along with national and international guests, to explore the meaning of compassion and how to live it (or express it) practically in our personal, professional and civic lives. Keynote speaker is Dena Merriam, Global Peace Initiative of Women.  Panelists include: Alexa McDonough, Patti Melanson, and Sobaz Benjamin.  Participants will experience compassion and celebrate the fundamental role of compassion as a way of being. March 24th, 2013 1-5 p.m., Rosaria, Multipurpose Room, Mount Saint Vincent University. Visit us at www.wavesofcompassion.ca
Contact: Kim MacAulay
Phone: 902-457-6446
Email: Kim.MacAulay at msvu.ca

(10)
HEALTH CARE, EDUCATION & ENVIRONMENT: NO WARSHIPS!
Protest at the Nova Scotia Legislature/Province House
Tuesday, March 26
10:00-11:00 a.m.
1726 Hollis Street
Join me as the provincial government starts its new spring session.
The Dexter NDP government is giving hundreds of millions of dollars to Irving to build warships and tens of thousands of dollars to Lockheed Martin and the Aerospace and Defence Association to militarize the Nova Scotia economy. Our tax dollars should be spent greening the economy and our government should be investing in affordable housing, early learning & childcare, health care, and education.
Find out more at www.demilitarize.ca and the blog “Wednesdays against Warships”: http://demilitarize.ca/wp/  - Tamara Lorincz J

(11)
AGM HALIFAX NORTH WEST TRAILS ASSOCIATION
TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2013
6:15 for 6:45, Keshen Goodman Library on Lacewood Drive
Come early to renew your membership (only $5) or become a member ($10 which includes a badge with our colourful logo!).  Refreshments will be available!
Following the brief AGM business meeting, we are launching a new website and exciting plans for the future!  We will also be introducing a Special Resolution to Change our Fiscal Year.
After the AGM, we will have 2 special guest speakers, Kathy and Cathy who will describe their special trek on the Camino Trail for the Canadian Company of Pilgrims.  (Camino Magic – Halifax Style)
Consider becoming a part of the volunteer board
Halifax North West Trails Association
Connecting Neighbourhoods
Info at halifaxnorthwesttrails.ca  or call Bob at 443-5051

(12)
WEDNESDAYS AGAINST WARSHIPS
Every Wednesday
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Outside the Irving Shipyard
3099 Barrington St., Halifax
At the Niobe Gate Entrance near Devonshire Avenue
Join me every Wednesday to protest the federal government (with the support of all the political parties) wasting $25 billion on warships (+$14 billion on maintenance = at least $40 billion) instead of investing in urgent action on climate change and poverty. Instead of a National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy we could have a National Green Jobs Strategy, a National Affordable Housing Strategy, a National Early Learning & Childcare Strategy, a Kelowna Accord for First Nations, a National Municipal Infrastructure program etc… The well-being of Canadians not warships!
Afterward come for coffee/tea to warm up at Julien’s Bakery in the Hydrostone.
Find out more at www.demilitarize.ca and the blog “Wednesdays against Warships”: http://demilitarize.ca/wp/  - Tamara Lorincz J

(13)
LANDBIRDS AT RISK WORKSHOP
March 27, two sessions available, 10 AM-2 PM (lunch provided) or 7-9 PM (snacks provided). Learn about Landbird Species at Risk in Southwestern Nova Scotia and their breeding habitat requirements. This training workshop is free. Register by sending an email to LandbirdSAR at merseytobeatic.ca indicating morning or evening session. More info: http://www.merseytobeatic.com/

(14)
THE PROBLEM OF THE U.S. POLITICAL CLASS AND U.S.-CANADIAN RELATIONS
Seminar with Christopher Sands, Senior Fellow at the Hudson Institute, Washington, D.C. Headquarters as part of the US Studies series at Dalhousie University.
March 28 2013 - 12:30 pm
Location
Lord Dalhousie Room, Henry Hicks
Speaker Biography: Christopher Sands is a Senior Fellow at Hudson Institute, where he specializes on Canada and U.S.-Canadian relations, as well as North American economic integration. He is also a professorial lecturer at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, an adjunct professor in Government at the American University School of Public Affairs, and lectures at the Foreign Service Institute of the U.S. Department of State and for the US Department of Homeland Security.
Cost: Free
Additional Information
Co-hosted by the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies and the Department of Political Science.
Contact
centre at dal.ca
More details: http://www.dal.ca/dept/cfps/news-events/events-calendar/2013/03/28/us_political_class_and_canada_us_relations.html

(15)
IS THERE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO DIE?
Thursday March 28
Joseph Arvay, Q.C.
Arvay Finlay Barristers, British Columbia
WELDON LAW BLDG, ROOM 104, 6061 UNIVERSITY AVE, HFX, NS
12:10 - 1:30 PM
Light lunch served at noon in the Faculty Lounge (Rm 312)
No registration required. No fee.
Call 902.494.6881 for more information: http://hli.law.dal.ca/Seminar_Series.php

(16)
LEAD NOW WORKSHOP IN HALIFAX: LEVEL UP!
March 28th from 6pm-9pm, at the Just-Us Cafe 5896 Spring Garden Road.
For further information about the workshop or how to register please click this link: http://www.tfaforms.com/274324
We are a non-profit organization that brings Canadians together from across generations to improve our society by deepening our democracy, strengthening our communities, advancing social justice, extending economic opportunity and protecting our planet.
This year, a few of our dynamic staff members are embarking on a cross-Canada tour, offering workshops in cities across Canada to meet with organizers and the diverse members of the Leadnow community. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in our workshop in Halifax.
Through these workshops, we will:
1. Connect - Build relationships with Leadnow staff members and amazing people in your community who share your vision of a better Canada.
2. Learn - Develop powerful communication and personal leadership skills. Learn about effective action planning and new social media strategies that anyone can use.
3. Mobilize - Get ready for a sustained national organizing effort, starting with a national day of action on Earth Day (April 22nd!). Join us!

(17)
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL HALIFAX MEETING
You're invited to the Halifax Action Circle's March meeting. This will be our second meeting at Amnesty's new office space in Halifax. We'll be watching and discussing a documentary entitled The Suffering Grasses. The film explores the ongoing conflict in Syria and its impact on civilians, many of whom who have been killed, abused, or forced to flee to refugee camps. The trailer for the film can be found here: http://vimeo.com/46501281
Our meeting is next Thursday, March the 28th at 6:30. Meetings are the last Thursday of every month, continuing until June.  The meeting will take place at the new Amnesty office, located at 6009 Quinpool Road, Suite 305 (right across from the Atlantica Hotel). Please note that the building is locked at 7:00, so please let us know if you need to arrive late.
All are welcome. We hope to see you there!
Sincerely,
Halifax Action Circle
aihalifax at gmail.com

(18)
THE LEGALIZATION DEBATE
Tuesday, March 26, 4pm – 7pm
Where: Unilever Lounge (4th Floor Sobey Building), Saint Mary’s University, Halifax
A panel discussion outlining differing perspectives surrounding the decriminalization & legalization of marijuana
Guest speakers:
Dr. Robert Strang, Chief Public Health Officer for Nova Scotia
Cameron MacKeen, Barrister & Solicitor, Nove Scotia Legal Aid
Chris McNeil, Deputy Chief of Halifax Regional Police
www.smu.ca

(19)
THE CONVENTION ON BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY: A VIEW FROM THE SECRETARIAT
Olivier Rukundo, Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity
March 28. Lecture begin at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday nights in Ondaatje Hall, 6135 University Avenue, Marion McCain Arts & Social Sciences building. Dalhousie University, Halifax.
All welcome. Free of charge. Limited seating -- please arrive early.
http://www.dal.ca/faculty/sustainability/news-events/ess-lecture-series-schedule.html

(20)
STEVE LAW’S TAILINGS OF WARREN PEACE BOOK LAUNCH & FUNDRAISER
Location: St. Andrews Church Hall, 6036 Coburg Rd, Halifax, NS
Date & Time: Saturday, April, 6, 2013 7:00 p.m.
Details: The event will be a fundraiser for the Breaking the Silence Network, which unites Maritimers in solidarity with Guatemala, and will feature music from Zulkamoon. Ascencio, a member of the Coalition Against Metal Mining in El Salvador, will join Law for a book tour in late March, with stops planned in both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Contact: For more information about the tour visit: www.stephenlaw.net or order the novel at: http://www.fernwoodpublishing.ca/Tailings-of-Warren-Peace/

(21)
SUSTAINABLE OCEANS CONFERENCE 2013: BUILDING BRIDGES IN OCEAN MANAGEMENT
 April 12-13, 2013
The students of the Marine Affairs Program and Dalhousie University would like to invite you to the Sustainable Oceans Conference 2013: Building Bridges in Ocean Management Conference. The conference theme is “Connecting the science, policy and public spheres”. As such, this student-led conference aims to build bridges by bringing people together from all sectors, so that we can collaboratively develop a strong voice to identify challenges currently undermining sustainable ocean management in Canada, and propose possible solutions.
Friday April 12th, 2013 - 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Free public event with a reception, followed by a keynote address by Sarika Cullis-Suzuki, a panel discussion representing the spheres of Science, Politics, Industry and the Public, and student poster presentations
Saturday April 13th, 2013 - 8:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Student oral and posters presentations followed by an interactive workshop
The conference will be held at Dalhousie University.
It's going to be a great weekend. Hope to see you there!
Interested in giving an oral or poster presentation? Abstract submissions are being accepted until March 17th.
The conference is free but registration is required. Please see http://soceans.wiki.dal.ca or contact OceansConf at dal.ca for abstract submission information and free registration.

(22)
GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION ON MILITARY SPENDING
Monday, April 15, 2013
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Halifax Public Library, Spring Garden Library, Halifax
Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition and the Nova Scotia Voice of Women for Peace to raise awareness about the $1.7 trillion spent globally on war and weapons. In Canada, the federal government spends $22 billion on the military and only $1 billion on the environment. In Nova Scotia, the provincial government is spending hundreds of millions to Irving to build new warships at the Halifax shipyard. We will call attention to the provincial and federal government’s spending on militarism and the planned spending of $25 billion on warships and $1 billion on armed drones. For more information please visit www.demilitarize.org
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/events/553436878020333/

(23)
ANNUAL AFRICAN DINNER, AUCTION, & ENTERTAINMENT 2013 PRESENTED BY THE NOVA SCOTIA GAMBIA ASSOCIATION
Westin Nova Scotian, Halifax