[Sust-mar] Neighborhood Co-Operative Greenhouse Workshop from Transition Bay St Margarets

David Wimberly davidwimberly at eastlink.ca
Thu Nov 7 11:14:16 EST 2013

Please post the announcement below to Sust-Mar.

Want to learn about an amazingly effective, fun, and new way to build
resilience through gardening and food?  We still have room for more at
our innovative and original presentation on building community and food
security through *N**eighbourhood Cooperative Greenhouses,* on Nov. 9.

This is the first time _ever_ offering of a workshop on our original and
innovative way to use *Neighborhood Co-operative Greenhouses* for
communities to produce vibrant, abundant, and timely transplants at low
cost while learning from each other and having an extraordinarily joyful
time doing it. We hope you will share our excitement in being able to
offer this. Enjoy the video we made on this.  And please do read the
extras we have posted at our website. We've gotten interest from various
sectors on how to do this so this is your chance to learn how. Can you
join us, please?

*_ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_*

*Neighborhood Co-operative Greenhouses:
*

**

*A How-To Workshop*

**

*Saturday, November 9, 2013**- 9:00am to 5:00pm*

*
Transition Bay St Margarets*is hosting an innovative one-day workshop on
the nuts 'n bolts of establishing a co-operative greenhouse for your
neighborhood.

Creating and managing a neighborhood greenhouse co-operative for the
production of vegetable and flower transplants for use in the gardens of
the co-op members is a fantastic and easily accomplished way to build
local networks and resilience at the same time.  The co-op model uses a
single greenhouse, owned by one of the co-op members, or possibly in a
jointly-owned or public location.

Watch this 4 minute video to see one in action:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nk_ZY28uoo
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nk_ZY28uoo>

Also see:

www.transitionbay.ca/content/neighborhood-co-operative-greenhouses
<http://www.transitionbay.ca/content/neighborhood-co-operative-greenhouses>

Presentations will be made from the following organizations that are
running a cooperative model (confirmed to date):

  * *Transition Bay St Margarets*
  * *Ecology Action Centre (Bloomfield Community Centre Greenhouse)*
  * *Food is Sacred Garden Co-op (Jollimore Area, Halifax)*

*Who should attend:*greenhouse owners, greenhouse
'planning-to-builders', and community organizers across the Maritimes!

*Where:**St. Luke’s United Lower Hall, *5374 /St. Margaret's Bay/ Road,
Upper Tantallon, Nova Scotia.
*Cost: * $65. $30 for youth under 30. Lunch plus tea & coffee provided.

For more information and to register, contact: info at transitionbay.ca
<mailto:info at transitionbay.ca>