[Sust-mar] -Urgent Call for Comments and Support- Going forward on Recycling, etc,

David Wimberly davidwimberly at eastlink.ca
Fri Aug 1 05:21:50 EDT 2014

Sure would help if all of you could send in comments, even if only brief
ones, and even if only a copy of what is here - because that is what it
is for.
And please share this widely.   This really could help us all to have
this great step forward succeed!
David Wimberly

*-Urgent Call for Comments and Support-*

**

*It is not often we get the chance to rally in support of a government
proposal on environmental and sustainability issues.*But we're reaching
out to you because what seemed like certain approval may be in jeopardy.

The Nova Scotia Department of Environment (NS DOE) has a consultation
process on waste resource issues that is about to conclude. Its aim is
to gauge public support for finally going further towards Zero Waste
-the direction citizens advocated for, and the government agreed with,
in the mid-1990's.They're proposing to add various materials to those
prohibited for disposal through landfill or incineration, to clarify the
definition of incineration to include new variations, as well as other
common-sense improvements.These changes would once again make Nova
Scotia an environmental leader in Canada and the world.

But industry lobbies and landfill operators worry that this will cost
them money, and they've organized to oppose these changes. Their voices
are being heard --but is yours?

*If we want to be good environmental stewards, we need to immediately
send in comments to the consultation process.*Even very short comments
can have a huge impact.

Remember, these proposals -- most of which are excellent -- came from
the NS DOE. They want them to be approved. But they need to show that
the public agrees that sustainability and environmental stewardship is a
priority.

*Below you'll find information to help you make a submission*, whatever
amount of time you have. Only have 1 minute to spare? We have a form
letter for you to use. Do you have 5 minutes or more to say something
more detailed? The It's Not Garbage Coalition's submission includes a
pithy reference guide to what changes support a zero waste future and
what changes do not. This, along with links to the detailed submission
from the Ecology Action Centre and the original NS DOE discussion paper,
should give you what you need to make a submission that explains more
personally why going to zero waste matters to you and our society.

However much time you have to help, the most important thing is to make
a submission now.It's also important that individuals and groups contact
reporters and write articles or letters to the editor to get positive
messages into the media to offset the damage done by those opposing zero
waste.

*The comment period officially ends at midnight, Friday August 1, but
comments shortly thereafter can still be included -so don't let that
deadline stop you!*

Thanks for reading, for actively caring about our future, and for making
a submission.

*Form Letter*

Email Sophia Foley <Foleysj at gov.ns.ca> at the NS DOE, and be certain to
include Robert M Kenney <KENNEYBM at gov.ns.ca> on your email.Additionally,
we'd appreciate it if you also include the It's Not Garbage Coalition
<itsnotgarbagens at gmail.com>.

Here are all three emails together to be easily copy and pasted into
your email: