[Sust-mar] Organic apprentice, f/t, near Moncton, New Brunswick

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Fri Feb 14 13:22:31 EST 2014

[Environment, conservation & nature jobs - www.GoodWork.ca ]

APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Organic farm apprentice
Type: apprentice/intern with instruction, accom., food, stipend, more (see below)
Website: http://www.windyhillfarm.ca
Location: McKees Mills, near Moncton, New Brunswick

Our 45 acre farm is located in McKees Mills, NB, an attractive area with nearby beaches, lively local communities, lots of other farms and well equipped towns accessible by bicycle. This is a French speaking area and we are Anglophones operating in English but keen to improve our French. We grow a wide variety of vegetables and fruits and market them directly to customers, via a CSA and farmers markets. We have a coldframe and high tunnels for season extension and a small heated greenhouse for starting our own seedlings. We keep about 12 goats for our own dairy products and also sell goat meat. We have a few laying hens and occasionally raise chickens for meat. We started a small orchard in 2013 with apples, grapes, pears, cherries, plums and hazelnuts and keep honey bees as well. We are mechanized with two tractors and various implements such as a plough, rototiller and manure spreader. We are moving beyond organic in our philosophy to become more holistic in our management
 systems. As well, cooperation and sharing knowledge play major parts in our farming philosophy. We are part of two marketing co-operatives and are actively involved in local food security and environmental activities.

The apprentice will work from May 1st to October 31st and will receive detailed instruction and hands-on experience in all aspects of vegetable production and marketing as well as in the areas of poultry, dairy goat and orchard management and bee keeping if they choose. We are always trying new methods to improve our production and encourage participation by apprentices in this process. We would also encourage the apprentice to take on special independent projects in production or marketing areas. We are a production-focused farm as this is our sole source of income, however we are also experienced educators and sharing farming skills and knowledge is part of our mandate.

The apprentice would live in a 120 square foot Tumbleweed tiny house. This house is fully equipped with kitchen (stove, toaster oven, fridge, sink, pots, pans, etc.), bathroom (shower, hot water, composting toilet), wireless internet, bed and bedding, storage space, table, chairs, heater. The space is small but comfortable and attractive and gives privacy to us and the apprentice. We share lunches during the work week and take turns making lunch for everyone. Lunches commonly include dairy products and eggs (but not meat) so we cannot accommodate a vegan diet. The apprentice is responsible for cooking all their other meals. We supply basic foodstuffs in addition to the stipend: staples, veggies, eggs, milk, some meat. We pay a stipend of $50/week plus another $50/week worked at the end of a complete season. We also offer other opportunities for an apprentice to generate some income such as working at the farmer's market and through small independant farm projects.

You can apply by email by writing to office at windyhillfarm.ca or by phone at 506-525-1128.

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca