[Sust-mar] Worried about Fracking??? Let the NS Review of Fracking know what you think.

Barbara Harris bharris at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 30 09:05:30 EST 2014

Worried about Fracking??? Let the NS Review of Fracking know what you think.

NOFRAC, the Nova Scotia Fracking Resource and Action Coalition, is encouraging all Nova Scotians to let the Nova Scotia Review of Hydraulic Fracturing know your opinion about fracking and shale gas development in Nova Scotia.

Anyone is welcome make a submission to the hydraulic fracturing review (see review website for more information.)The deadline for submissions is March 31, 2014. The review is independent of government and is chaired by Dr. David Wheeler of Cape Breton University. The review panel should be announced next week.

Here are some suggestions about what you might include in your submission:

 — Are you a parent, a homeowner, a town councillor, a farmer, a recreational fisherman, a B&B owner,  a resident in a gas lease area,  or a member of a community group?  Let the review know your perspective and experience in your submission. How do you think fracking and shale gas development will affect you and your community?

—  If you have experienced fracking first hand, as a worker or a community member, write about what you saw and learned.

— If you have a professional background (a PhD, an MD, a PEng. ) note that in your submission. You may not have a degree in fracking, but you may have a background for understanding how fracking and shale gas development could affect Nova Scotia which the review should consider.

— What conclusion would you like the review, and the government to make, and why.

If you are aware of studies or reports which support your views, refer to them ( by at least title and author) in your submission.

Send your submission to the review by email (hfreview at cbu.ca) with a copy to your MLA (find your MLA here http://nslegislature.ca/index.php/people/members/)

Nova Scotia presently has a moratorium on fracking. The Liberal Party made a commitment during the last election that “Unless we can definitively determine that fracking will not harm our resources, our environment, or the general public in any way, the extraction procedure should be prohibited.”

We need to hold the Provincial Government to this election commitment. NOFRAC believes that if the present review truly evaluates the full risks and benefits, the review cannot fairly conclude that fracking will not harm our resources, our environment, or the general public in any way.

NOFRAC believes that the only possible way to prevent harm to our resources, our environment and the general public is to extend the moratorium for at least 10 years or to ban fracking permanently.

Please let the review know what you think.

Remember, the deadline for submissions is March 31, 2014.