[Sust-mar] Garden to Table Internship, work-stay, Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Jul 10 08:41:57 EDT 2014

* Work in local food, ecotourism - http://FoodWork.ca *

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Garden to Table Internship
Type: work-trade position with room & board, more (see below)
Dates: min. 2-month stay: (1) Sept-Oct. 2014, or (2) May-June 2015
Website: http://www.cabotshores.com
Location: Indian Brook, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

Cabot Shores has one opening for a Garden-to-Table Internship. Hands-on learning in the following areas: Planting, caring for, watering and harvesting of vegetables grown according to organic princliples; collect seaweed from our beach for mulching and fertilizing; learn to put up extra vegetables and fruits such as making chutneys, sauces, crisps etc; forage for wild foods including berries and mushrooms. Live in a stunning remote area right on the Atlantic. During your time off explore our land on foot and by kayak/canoe/yolo board; enjoy Cape Breton's musical and artisan heritage; participate in morning Qi Gong and meditation. Be available to meet and help serve our guests from the world over.

We've been growing food according to organic principles since Cabot Shores' inception in 2004, as it's difficult to obtain good produce in this remote area of Nova Scotia.

As a volunteer intern, under the supervision of our experienced gardener, you will:
• Learn all about the garden to table process at our Wilderness Resort and Retreat. Depending upon time of year, you will plant, weed, harvest, help prepare dishes, chutneys, pickles, sauces, desserts, or simply learn how to freeze harvested veggies & herbs.
• You will gather seaweed for mulch from our beach via canoe/kayak, and you will learn about mulching and fertilizing with other organic material. You will also learn about composting.
• You will learn about foraging for seasonal wild foods (berries, greens & mushrooms).
• You will be working approx. 6 hours per day 5 days per week in exchange for room (in our staff accommodations), board (we eat largely vegetarian with some meat and fish) and experiences (hiking, kayaking, healing arts, music and more).
• You will meet and interact and serve people from all over the world who wish to experience this remote and culturally/naturally rich island. You will be part of a team of enthusiastic and competent staff members.

No experience needed, but gardening experience is welcome. You need to be willing to work hard, be self-directed, and work in all sorts of conditions.

We ask for a minimum stay of 2 months between early May and end of October. At this time we have an opening for September & October 2014, and again in May 2015.

Smokers are welcome if willing to smoke outdoors, well away from buildings.

While we are indeed located in a remote area, you will be around lots of people of all ages; you will have the opportunity to explore the island, to attend ceilidhs, visit local artisans and more.

To apply:

Email: barbara at cabotshores.com
Please include a cover letter & CV or resume — we'll send you a skills assessment, check 2 references, then schedule a call or skype interview.

You can visit us at: www.cabotshores.com to get a better idea of what we're about.

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=26358

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca