[Sust-mar] Cultivating Art

Phil Ferraro adapt at pei.aibn.com
Thu May 8 10:05:00 EDT 2014

Cultivating Art

Please join us as we celebrate the PEI Farm Centre's inaugural Art
Exhibition, CULTIVATING ART at an opening reception on Tuesday, May 13
from 7 to 9 pm. Island artists Julia Pursell, P John Burden, Henry
Dunsmore and Wendy Jones share their vision of our farms and gardens and
all that we harvest from them. Cultivating Art will feature paintings,
prints and photographs that explore agricultural landscapes and the
harvests that nurture us - body and soul. The exhibition will remain
hanging until July 13th. Hors d'oeurves reception catered by the
Culinary Institute of Canada.

LIKE our Cultivating Art Exhibition Page on
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cultivating-Art/624286360993117?fref=ts

Visual arist P. John Burden is a classically trained Canadian and
British subject. Burden's work includes original acrylic and watercolour
paintings, as well as traditional and modern artist’s prints. His art is
symbolic or surrealist, using representational skills from a lifetime of
drawing, painting, & design. John also illustrates books for all ages
and has work in collections worldwide.http://www.johnburdenart.com/

Henry Dunsmore graduated from Sheridan College of Art and Design in
1970. He trained in commercial screen-printing for four years while
going to college. Henry’s first one-man show was held at Toronto’s
Aggregation Gallery in 1973. Since then he has also practiced the art of
watercolours. Dunsmore’s work has been hung in dozens of group shows
including exhibitions in London, England, France, and Belgium. He moved
to PEI in 1989 and the following year held his first one-man watercolour
show at the Studio Gallery in
Victoria.http://www.studiogallery.ca/ArtistPages/HDPages/HD1.html

Julia Purcell of Clyde River works mostly with watercolour and oil,
finding inspiration for her artwork in the Island’s landscapes, and
flowers. Portraiture is also a passion. Julia has been painting and
drawing since early childhood and studied music and theatre at Dalhousie
University and UBC. Over the years she has taken courses in pottery,
silver smithery, basketry and printmaking. Currently Julia offers
painting classes in Charlottetown and continues to paint scenes all over
the island.http://juliapurcell.yolasite.com/about-the-artist.php

A former member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, Wendy Jones
studied fine arts at Vancouver City College and has exhibited in
numerous group and solo exhibitions in British Columbia and in the
Netherlands where she lived for six years. Jones explores many mediums,
subjects and styles. She nurses a particular fondness for realism in
portraiture, land and seascapes but she is not afraid to take risks with
abstract and innovative art forms including
photography.https://www.facebook.com/labellecreations?ref=hl

“We have all paused to admire the beauty of our Island farms and fields,
pastoral scenes with dairy cows grazing in lush grassy meadows against a
backdrop of brilliant blue skies and seas,” says Jones. “We are inspired
not just to sample tastes from the heaps of fruit and vegetables piled
on tables at the Farm Market but to express the visceral and visual
pleasure derived from being around them,” says Jones (who is organizing
the exhibition).

I don’t think there is an artist alive who could help but be inspired by
some aspect of our agriculture, the brilliant blueberry fields in the
fall, flowers like the tulips and daffodils from Vanco’s that brighten
our day, and all the lovely old farms surrounded by well-tended fields
that are dotted across the landscape of Prince Edward Island - and then
there are all of the delicious flavours the culinary arts offer!”

Everyone is welcome to attend the opening reception of the show on
Tuesday, May 13th at 7 pm and to drop in any time to see the works
displayed at the Farm Centre from May 13th through July 13th.

--

Phil Ferraro,
c/o The Farm Centre, 420 University Avenue, Room 103