[Sust-mar] Volunteer at an organic farm, accom., Flying Shoe Farm, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jun 2 19:26:53 EDT 2015

* Volunteer for local food - http://FoodWork.ca/vol *

VOLUNTEER / WORK-STAY

Position: Volunteer at an organic farm http://GoodWork.ca/950303
Type: volunteer position with lodging, meals, more (see below)
Location: Stanley, north of Fredericton, New Brunswick
Dates: minimum stay 3 weeks to 1 month (June / July / August)

Help out on our wonderful community spirited farm nestled on the hillside of the picturesque, Giant's Glen in Stanly, New Brunswick Canada.

Flying Shoe Farm has openings for two great volunteers for the months June, July and August! In September and October we have one space remaining during each month. Send us your email, we look forward to hearing from you! Our minimum farm stay 3 weeks to 1 month as it takes a while to get used to all the great things we do here. We create an opportunity for you to gain first hand learning experience the daily care and maintenance of a developing farm. We have many ongoing projects that you can be part of during your stay with us such as daily care for the animals, seed germination, tending/transplanting seedlings to the spring & summer gardens, weeding, harvesting gardens in the fall season and storing root crops. You will also learn to use the saw mill, bush saw, chain saw, drive the tractor(s) and farm equipment operation and maintenance. You will help prepare fields, create pastures, fix fence posts and learn the art of chopping firewood. In the harvest season you learn ab
 out pickling, freezing. I teach all wwoofers how to make bread, we cook together and then there is much more.

Flying Shoe Farm is located on 45 acres of mixed hard and soft woods, reclaimed fields/pastures and natural springs nestled on the hillside of the picturesque, Giant's Glen. The Nashawaak River is a pristine watershed that runs past our farm and through the village of Stanley. Since buying our farm in the late summer of 2011 we have been clearing and ploughing fields, hauling stones, excavating, planting, harvesting, storing and preserving veggies, creating new vegetable gardens, grafting trees for a new apple orchard, constructing animal shelters, delivering baby animals (goats, pigs, rabbits, chickens and a colt) as well as the daily care and feeding animals and mucking out barns.

Look at our Facebook page for more pictures of the goings on here at Flying Shoe Farm!

Our animals: We have 3 horses; Tammy, Lola & Lolita, 2 pigs; Wiggely & Pepper pig, rabbits, 8 goats; Hunny-bee, Gingee-bee, Emma, Kaita, Yin, Mimi amd Momo and 20 chickens who thankfully have no names lol. We also have a cat (Zigbee) and a dog (Jimmy) that live in our home.

Sandy:
I spent part of my childhood on an small farm near Fredericton with my family where we raised chickens and geese and had large organic vegetable gardens. I had a beautiful little Morgan horse back then. My mom and dad were very interested in organic gardening and wanted to create a balanced life for us kids while we were growing up so we all had to help with gardening and fixing up the old 7 bedroom farm house
yep you heard it here there were 7 bedrooms and lots of history in that old house. Back then I studied at an International People’s College in Denmark and spent time travelling through Europe while I was 16/17 years old. I had been studying pottery before I took a year off to travel in EU. Then I returned home to set up a pottery business with my mom & sister. In order to get the pottery studio up and running we sold organic vegetables, whole grain breads, muffins and monster mouth watering cookies at the Boyce Farmers Market in Fredericton. Yikes that was almost 40 yea
 rs ago! Time flies when you're having fun! One of my jobs (that I totally love) is as an Art Educator at a local gallery in Fredericton where I teach art to young children, families and adults. I also teach after school art programs at rural elementary schools as well as manage all the comings and goings of the farm.

Meryl:
My talented, patient and capable "Capt'n" farmer grew up in a large family on a farm in Nova Scotia where his dad and mom raised cattle, chickens, horses and pigs. His parents were great farmers. To make ends meet they worked as a woodsman and camp cook during the winters in lumber camps. Meryl is my "McGiver"......you know that kind of person who can make and build something from a pen, a piece of string, a pocket knife, a carrot and come up with a whole house and a meal!  Meryl  has had his own roofing and painting businesses, been a construction contractor and spent part of his life teaching. We met about 16 years ago, marrying for a second time and have done many wonderful and amazing things together. Some of our grown children are near us while others are on the other side of the globe. There is more in between but that is for stories by the fire under the stars or by the wood stove.

LODGING & SLEEPING ARRANGMENTS:
Volunteers live in our home with us. You will have a shared co-ed space with separate beds. Bathroom facilities are shared with the family. Since purchasing the farm most of our time has been spent on the outside chores, gardening, harvesting and re claiming the pastures etc, so the house has stayed without renovations. She (the old farm house) is somewhere between 130 -150 years old, very simple and rustic... needs work, but for now it is a humble yet cozy space filled with love, good food and lots of laughs. Showers are once a day in the evening. All wwoofers keep shared sleeping space  and pathroom space neat and tidy.

HOUSE KEEPING:  The farm house is the hub and heartbeat of the farm.  Volunteers assist in keeping the house clean.

FOOD & MEALS: We are non vegetarian farm where volunteers help in meal prep, cooking, table setting, clean up after meals. Our food consists of about 80% of our own meat and vegetables grown here on the farm. We are always interested in trying new international recipes you might bring from home and we would like you to share your knowledge of your cuisine with us. We are definitely interested in incorporating new ideas into our menu plan along with your help at meals of course!! Our food is nutritious and delicious. As one of our wwoofers put it.... "It's like Christmas every day!" That is a compliment we will easily accept! ;) It is good to know where our food comes from and how it is prepared. We love our animals and honour and appreciate them for all the give to us. In our root cellar we store potatoes, beets, carrots, cabbage, turnips, onions and garlic.

PERSONAL BELONGINGS: Please bring your own personal health care items such as  tampons, vitamins, lotions, shampoos, soaps, creams, toothpaste, dental floss, q-tips, etc. We do not supply these items. Each wwoofer is provided with a basket in the bathroom for their own toiletries.

COMPUTERS: A note about computers and communication with your family and friends. We do have wifi and wwoofers are welcome to use their computers during evening hours. (Not outside while working during jobs or during meals or prep time). Please bring your own communication devices with you. ie: Laptop, Notebook, IPad's, IPhones, MP3's, cell phones and ear buds for listening to your own music, watching videos and use on your cell phones. We do not lend out our personal computers so please do not ask us.

SMOKING: We are a non-smoking farm inside our hime or outside in the farm yard.

LANGUAGE SPOKEN: We love to help those who want to improve their English language skills here on the farm. Of our many volunteers from countries around the world, many want and do improve their English while with us.

TRAVEL INSURANCE AND ILLNESSES: Make sure your TRAVEL INSURANCE IS UP TO DATE. This is very important and we will be asking to see it when you arrive. Also please consider that we are a working farm and need to be as healthy as possible in order to do the work we have to do. Before arriving on our farm, if you have a contagious disease such as Mono, Cold Chicken Pox, a bad Flu etc, please let us know about it. Then we can decide what is the best course of action. This will be a great help to us, the other wwoofers and you. Thank you for helping!

WHAT TO BRING

SPRING & SUMMER: Early mornings and evenings can be very cool in the spring and occasionally in the summer here on the Glen ...layering and fleeces are great for this. Rubber boots, summer hats, work gloves, pocket knife, (we use pocket knives on the farm every day for many purposes), suntan lotion, bug sprays and a bug hat depending on how delicious you are to the bugs! ;). Splash pants in spring & summer can be very helpful in rainy or cool weather. Again... fleeces and layers are best in cool & hot weather conditions. You may be able to pick up some good quality gear at second hand stores like Value Village or the Salvation Army Thrift Store. For your own comfort you will want to invest in some good quality rubber boots if you are with us during wet seasons. Even if you are not here in winter read on as fall and spring seasons are similar.

SEND PHOTOS OF YOURSELF: Please remember to send us a couple of good clear pictures of yourself. This is how we get to meet each other before you arrive. You see us, we see you.

We look forward to meeting you soon!

    ~ Sandy & Meryl

Contact:

Sandy at Flying Shoe Farm
izzabellalouisa at yahoo.com

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=30305

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca