[sust-mar] Harrison Lewis Centre: trees and saws and mills and skills.

Harrison Lewis Centre HLC at eastlink.ca
Thu Apr 21 09:58:15 EDT 2016

Join us at the Harrison Lewis Centre for our 2016 summer series of home
and small farm forestry skills workshops.

*June 24-26: The Woods Around Us, Backyard Forestry. *Join Jamie Simpson
for a hands-on exploration of our forests. Which trees grow where, and
why? How do forests change over time? What can we do to increase
wildlife habitat in our backyards? What is old-growth forest? Which
trees are good to cut for firewood? Come away from the weekend knowing
how to identify our trees and common forest plants, a better
understanding of how our forests tick, and how to think about working
with your own forest. Jamie is a professional forester with a background
in forest ecology and author of two books on our eastern forests,
“Restoring the Acadian Forest: A guide to forest stewardship for
woodland owners in Eastern Canada,” and “Journeys Through Eastern
Old-Growth Forests.” Enrollment limited to 14 participants.

**

**

*July 8-10 (Full three days, two nights.) Milling and building: *From
logs to lumber to finished shed in three days. This new and unique
workshop combines our popular*Introduction to the Portable Bandsaw Mill
*with*Basic Carpentry *as participants plan for and mill out framing,
roof, and siding for a storage shed.**Thinking of buying a portable
bandsaw mill or already own a mill and could use a refresher course on
how to achieve better results? This workshop provides plenty of
discussion and hands-on chance to familiarize yourself with a mill, its
operation and maintenance. Taught by returning instructor Ian Dingwall,
full-time sawyer. Three days, Friday morning to Sunday afternoon.
Limited to 10 participants.

*July 29-31: Chainsaw Skills and Safety, Women Only.***A hands-on course
with instructor Patrick Allan teaching bucking, directional felling,
safe use, and maintenance. Participants come away with knowledge and
practice to safely and competently use a saw. Learn the saw from the
inside out, safe use, sharpening the chain, proper maintenance, how to
buck wood, and the dos and don’ts of working both with downed and
standing wood. Sunday participants learn to fell trees, working in a
woodlot at the Harrison Lewis Centre.Workshop limited to eight participants.

**

*August 19-21: Chainsaw Skills and Safety, Open Course. *A hands-on
course with instructor Patrick Allan teaching bucking, directional
felling, safe use, and maintenance. Participants come away with
knowledge and practice to safely and competently use a saw. Learn the
saw from the inside out, safe use, sharpening the chain, proper
maintenance, how to buck wood, and the dos and don’ts of working both
with downed and standing wood. Sunday participants learn to fell trees,
working in a woodlot at the Harrison Lewis Centre.Workshop limited to
eight participants.

Email HLC at eastlink.ca <mailto:HLC at eastlink.ca> for more information on
workshops or to register.

**

*Limited enrollment, excellent instruction, great meals, amazing
wilderness coastal setting within a short two-hour drive from Halifax – *

*what more can one ask?*

**

**