[sust-mar] Student engagement, summer student job, NSPIRG, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Jun 13 18:45:14 EDT 2016

* Work in environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOB POSTING
http://GoodWork.ca/908153

Position: Student Engagement Officer
Type: summer student position, followed by part-time in fall (see below)
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Summer & Part Time Job Opportunity at NSPIRG

The Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG), is now accepting applications for a

STUDENT ENGAGEMENT OFFICER (SEO) Coordinator

DEADLINE: Application deadline is Tuesday June 21st, 2016 at 5pm.

WORK TERM: June 23rd/24th – October 28th , 2016

ABOUT THE NOVA SCOTIA PUBLIC INTEREST RESEARCH GROUP

The Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG) is a resource centre based around social and environmental justice, within an anti-oppressive framework. NSPIRG is a student society at Dalhousie University and King's College, and our office is located in Room B24 of the Student Union Building at Dalhousie University. Our mandate is to link research to action and campus to community, within an anti-oppressive framework. We engage in campaigns, public education, and provide resources to the campus and community.

ABOUT C.U.R.E.

Community-University Research Exchange (CURE) is a program we recently started to run at NSPIRG. This program links the research capacity of university students with local community organizing. In short, we will work with community groups to propose projects to be researched.

Together with students and faculty we will create options for academic credit, within courses, for students to write papers and do research that can be directly used by local community organizing groups.

This program is being modelled on similar programs run at McGill and Concordia in Montreal.

JOB DESCRIPTION: Student Engagement Officer

This is a new program at NSPIRG! Therefore, we are still working out the exact responsibilities of this position, and there is a chance that they will change or grow as the work progresses (within agreed-upon working hours, of course).

The hired candidate will work with Core NSPIRG Staff to develop a sustainable CURE program.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Building on the existing CURE framework to create a sustainable program
• Providing outreach to engage students, faculty and community groups in CURE
• Working with CURE participants to develop research proposals and providing support to faculty and students within the program
• Administration for the project: organization of information, contact lists, etc.
• Creating and dispersing promotional materials for the program: email call-outs, posters, social media
• Offering occasional support to the Core Staff by promoting and maintaining NSPIRG's alternative library, and other opportunities to connect students and community to research.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

The following are required for this position:
• Must be a Student between 15-30 years of age.
• Be able to build rapport with a wide variety of people and communities: students, community organizers, faculty, etc.
• Solid foundation in research methods
• The ability to work independently, with flexible hours, and with the ability to stick to a timeline and schedule
• Familiarity with principles of working within an anti-oppression framework, and with the goals of creating inclusive and accessible services
• Somebody who is well connected and has been a political organizer themselves would be much better than an “average student”

The following would be considered assets, but are not requirements:
• Familiarity with programs like mail chimp and wordpress would be an asset
• An understanding of consensus-based decision making
• A good understanding of a wide range of community organizing in the Halifax region
• Knowledge of Dalhousie University and/or King's College campuses and academic departments

WAGE & HOURS

ASAP to August 27th: 30 hrs. per week at 15$ per hour.

August 28th to 18th November: 10hrs per week at 15$ per hour.

Hours are flexible and will vary according to the workload of the given week.

HIRING POLICY

NSPIRG has an anti-oppression hiring policy, which recognizes that access to jobs such as this is often limited to folks from marginalized communities. We also acknowledge that lived experience can be as valuable as formal training, but harder to “prove” in a job application. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences would bring to the NSPIRG organization in their cover letter or resume.

Our hiring policy is available at http://www.nspirg.ca/about-us/governing-documents/

TO APPLY

Please submit a resume that outlines your relevant skills and experience, and a cover letter that includes your interest in the position. If you are emailing your application, please clearly indicate that you are applying for the CURE Coordinator position, and please include your name in the file names of your resume and letter.

Applications may be dropped off at: NSPIRG Hiring Committee, Room B24, 6136 University Ave., Halifax, NS B3H 4J2

Or emailed to:
hiring at nspirg.ca

http://GoodWork.ca/908153

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=35180

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca