[sust-mar] Summer job - Communications Coordinator, Sierra Club, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu May 19 16:41:51 EDT 2016

* Work in environment, conservation & nature - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER STUDENT JOB
http://GoodWork.ca/902843

Position: Communications Coordinator
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Sierra Club Atlantic is searching for an outgoing, energetic, and creative individual to help with Chapter outreach and education initiatives, including our newsletter and educational materials.

About Sierra Club Canada Foundation

Sierra Club Canada Foundation empowers people to protect, restore and enjoy a healthy and safe planet. SCCF’s objective is to protect and restore the health of the natural environment, including communities, by empowering Sierra Club members and its citizens through education, advocacy, and action. SCCF is at its heart a grassroots organization, with a “think globally and act locally” philosophy. SCCF’s framework allows members to actively contribute to environmental causes that concern or inspire them, in a capacity that best suits their capabilities. Engaging with local officials, working collaboratively with local organizations, and a working with a

strong volunteer base has allowed Sierra Club to successfully engage in environmental campaigns that directly benefit both people and the planet.

The Atlantic Canada Chapter of the Sierra Club Canada Foundation works through education and action to green the economy and protect the environment.

About this Position

This is a Canada Summer Job Position, so you must meet these criteria to be eligible for this position:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2; and,
• be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.

Please find out more about Canada Summer Jobs, go here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/epb/yi/yep/programs/scpp.shtml

Tasks and Responsibilities

The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for editing, compiling information, and working with our staff and members to create new web and media content. The Communications Coordinator will also be asked to work closely with program coordinators to develop project­specific materials such as reports and brochures.

Tasks will include:
• creating a summer communications strategy ;
• promoting and organizing urban walks in Halifax (part of our Halifax Diverse program);
• assisting with education & outreach materials for programs;
• volunteer recruitment;
• assisting Chapter Director in compiling and designing the Chapter newsletter;
• soliciting and editing blogs from our members;
• basic graphic design;
• assisting project staff & volunteers in event promotion; and
• compiling and editing material for our new website.

Some project events and programming for Halifax Diverse and our Wild Child Forest School will be targeting new Canadian children and families and the sharing of traditional ecological knowledge for guided hikes / events.

As with all Sierra Club staff, the student will be asked to work closely with local volunteers, communicate with our membership, and perform office duties such as answering phones and greeting the public.

Qualifications:
• post-secondary training in one of the following areas: public relations, media, communications, fine arts & design, education
• good written and oral skills
• experience with promotion and marketing
• familiarity with web and social media
• ability to work with volunteers
• familiarity with newsletter design and e-news programs (ie. MailChimp) an asset
• organizational and time management skills

Remuneration

This is a full-time position, 35 hours per week. Pay rate is $10.70 / hour for 8 weeks. Ideal start date is June 6th, but we can be flexible.

Deadline to apply: 5 pm, Atlantic time, Monday, May 30th, 2016

Please send cover letter and resume to Gretchen Fitzgerald at:
gretchenf at sierraclub.ca
or call 902-444-7096 for more details.

http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/communications

http://GoodWork.ca/902843

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=34820

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca