[sust-mar] Manager, f/t, accom., Harrison Lewis Coastal Discovery Centre, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Oct 7 11:28:42 EDT 2016

* Work in environment, sustainability, local food - GoodWork.ca *

JOB OPPORTUNITY
http://FoodWork.ca/913463

Position: Manager
Type: part paid, part pro-bono / volunteer, with housing, more (see below)
Location: South Shore Nova Scotia, near Port Joli

The not-for-profit Harrison Lewis Centre, a registered Canadian charity, seeks an individual or couple with interests and knowledge in both natural history and small farming to operate our field station and programs from our campus located on a 19th Century salt water farm on Nova Scotia’s South (Atlantic coast) Shore near the province's Thomas Raddall Natural Environment Park.

While there are many places in North America for the study of natural history, and others where the focus is farming and heritage skills, few offer both. The Harrison Lewis Centre provides the opportunity to investigate and experiment with “a practical harmony,” to quote agrarian philosopher Wendell Berry, between farming and the natural world; between the extraction of food and fiber from the land, and sea, while minimizing impact on natural ecosystems.

Named in honour of ornithologist Harrison Flint Lewis, first director of the Canadian Wildlife Service, the ten-year-old station (with a 150-year old adjacent farmstead owned by our current executive director and founder) provides a home for university summer school programs and organizes its own workshops relating to natural history and traditional rural home, farm, and woodlot management skills. Up to the present time, operations have been seasonal, May to October.

Financially, we are secure but bare-bones, with neither debt nor endowment. Directors have relied heavily on volunteers and government aid allowing them to hire summer student help.

We wish to correspond with adventurous people, looking for a rewarding challenge, who are in a position, at least initially, to donate a portion of their time and talent in lieu of a full salary toward operating the centre. We can provide a place to live in one of our cabins, althought preferably in a room (with adjoining office) in the farm house, leaving cabin space for summer employees, instructors, and students. We have a large garden where we grow much of our own food and would encourage anyone taking us up on this offer to do the same – as well, if interested, to grow for a farmers' market, of which there are three within a half hour of the Centre.

We also are about a half hour drive from most conveniences like banks, drug, grocery, and hardware stores, churches and schools. However, what we lack in convenience is more than made up in peace, quiet, and scenic beauty, surrounded as we are by thousands of protected acres in adjacent parks, sanctuaries, Nature Conservancy lands, and nature reserves.

Our goal is to become a solvent, first rate, year-round research and education centre catering to those who strive to understand natural systems and to acquire skills necessary to live in that "practical harmony" Berry talks about. Spring, summer and fall would be devoted to programs on-site, and require that the manager(s) live on the premises. The remainder of the year would be devoted to planning, marketing, fund-raising, and the like.

Ultimately we will be looking for the right person to take over as executive director.

We invite proposals from those interested in taking up this challenge. More information and a website peek at our location and facilities can be found at HarrisonLewisCentre.org. Correspondence should be directed to the current executive director, Dirk van Loon, at:
dvledit at eastlink.ca

Duties, tasks, skills
• Administration
• Grant writing
• Effective communication (speaking and writing)
• Organizing
• Directing employees/ volunteers
• Marketing/public relations
• Food/housekeeping management

http://FoodWork.ca/913463

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=36431

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca