[sust-mar] Sustainable farming internships, accom., Rolling Hill Farm, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Apr 24 11:43:03 EDT 2017

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
http://FoodWork.ca/968893

Position: Sustainable Farm Internship
Type: one-year full-time internship with housing, meals, stipend, more (see below)
Location: Caledonia, Nova Scotia

Rolling Hill Farm is finally getting to see a lifelong dream come true. Our own patch of green where our animals can run free and we can get back to what we love; working the land. We have 130 acres on which to make our mark and plenty of wacky adventures planned to keep us busy. Sustainably grown fruits and vegetables from land worked with horse and plough instead of gas and tractor. Fresh eggs and home-made preserves. www.rollinghillfarm.ca

Sustainable Farm Internships

Interns are invited to join us for a full year, with the actual months to be agreed.

Qualifications:
• A strong interest in local, sustainable food
• Previous work experience/education in agriculture is preferred
• Positive and inquisitive
• Energetic, hard-working and highly motivated
• Desire to work and live in a cooperative setting
• Previous experience with horses is very desirable, though not necessarily driving

Work/Learn Description:
• Over the course of the season interns will develop the skills to grow from "seed to plate." Some of the tasks and themes include: seeding and transplanting; compost making, soil health and fertility; cover cropping; irrigation; trellising and pruning; weed, pest and disease prevention and management; succession planting; crop post-harvest care; farm direct marketing, delivering and selling at a farmers' markets; cooking and preserving food; animal care, including goats, sheep, chickens, horses, pigs and dogs; rotational grazing; hay making; maintenance of pasture; fencing; breaking and working fresh ground; general farm maintenance; forestry management and felling trees.
• Depending on skill and comfort level, interns have the opportunity to learn to care for and work with the draft horse as a main source of power on the farm.
• Building projects are always ongoing, including finishing the trail to our lake
• Learning and working take place in both individual and group settings; there is individual instruction, group demonstrations, and working with one another to pass along skills
• Detailed instructions are given to develop the skills necessary to perform tasks on the farm
• There is an extensive farming library where you are free to browse and borrow books
• Special workdays with friends and community several times a year for a change of pace

Responsibilities:
• The regular work schedule runs from 8 am - 6 pm, with an hour lunch break
• Interns work weekends on a rotating basis, watering on the farm, and working the market. Watering duties require the whole weekend; market duties are 2/3 of a day and provide some compensation

Housing:
• Housing is provided in the family farm house. Interns will have their own rooms.
• All meals are provided, and most of the food is home grown.
• Access to wireless internet and Netflix account.
• Laundry will be done for you, sunscreen and some over the counter medication provided
• Regular opportunities to cook almost anything with fresh and local ingredients
• Interns are also expected to take part in managing an orderly household, clean the house weekly, do household chores and take turns cooking for everyone

Farm conduct:
• There is a list of household guidelines which outline a number of rules of respect and procedure followed in the house and on the farm
• Smokers are welcome but must smoke outside and away from the market garden, disposing of butts appropriately
• Safety is of great importance to us here and precautions are taken to avoid accidents. Participation is of course required from everyone involved

Additional Benefits:
• A weekly stipend that increases with length of stay
• An opportunity to explore this beautiful region of Nova Scotia right next to Kejimkujik National Park. Several bikes are available, as well as the horses to competent riders. There is locally available swimming, canoeing, kayaking (the latter two for hire) and hiking through the park. A tent and some equipment is available if you want to go camping.
• The chance to meet others from around the world and locally, involved in the farm and food revival movement
• A shared living room has a TV and various board games.

To Apply

The 2017/2018 season is currently open for expressions of interest on a one-year stay basis. There is no deadline, as positions are filled on a first-come, first-in basis, but we encourage you to apply ASAP.
• Our minimum length of stay is three months, though preference is given to applicants with the intention to stay longer
• We encourage international applicants to apply to the internship. Please ask us if you have questions about arranging for the appropriate work and travel documents ASAP ( French spoken)

Please email a cover letter and resume to:
info at rollinghillfarm.ca

Follow up conversation can be by phone or Skype.

*** Please note: the initial two weeks of an intern's stay is a probationary period where both the farm management and intern will assess whether they are happy with each other

A warm welcome to those who enjoy hard work, tasty food, good conversation, and living with a diverse group of people. We sincerely look forward to working hard and having a great time together!

http://FoodWork.ca/968893

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=39886

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca