[sust-mar] Organic farm apprentice, accom., Barnyard Organics, Prince Edward Island

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Jan 13 14:14:52 EST 2017

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

APPRENTICESHIP OPPORTUNITY
http://FoodWork.ca/950573

Position: Farm Apprentice
Type: full-time apprenticeship with private accom., optional meals, stipend, more (see below)
Location: Freetown, Prince Edward Island

Barnyard Organics is a 550 acre organic grains and livestock farm. The grains (soybeans, barley, wheat, field peas and oats) have previously focused mostly on feed grains for livestock, but there is increasing diversity into food grains, as well. The livestock have changed and varied through the years, but the current population is a family milk cow, a couple pigs, laying hens and meat chickens, in the summer. The farm also has a provincially inspected poultry processing facility on-site, as well as a soybean roaster and grain cleaning operation. The latest venture has been to develop East Coast Organic Feed Mill, producing a quality organic feed, grown and milled here at the farm.

All livestock, including chickens live on pasture for the summer. The chicken and eggs are sold through our 70 member CSA. The apprenticeship will prioritize livestock management but will cover all areas of the farm.

Mark is the main farm manager, with his Dad, Wendell, helping out where he likes. Sally handles the CSA and the chickens and wrangles the current four farmhands who range in age from 3 to 9 years old. Mark and Sally both graduated from the Nova Scotia Agricultural College and have been living on the farm since 2006, when the first 50 acres completed transition and were certified organic. Each year, they expanded the organic acreage until the whole farm was fully certified in 2010.

We are always trying out new crops and looking to diversify what we can offer. Since we are constantly modifying existing equipment and infrastructure to suit our farm ventures, ideas and input are welcome and encouraged.

We have been increasing seed for an edamame variety of soybeans for several years and this year would like to begin selling fresh edamame, in earnest. We would love to help guide someone through the experience of growing, harvesting and selling a new product on their own, as a sort of micro-farm business within a larger operation. This could be a valuable learning tool, and also a profitable one for the right applicant, under good guidance.

We are looking for intelligent, upbeat, hardworking and passionate people (up to 2) who carry a willingness to get outside their comfort zone and embrace new experiences (like driving large tractors or eviscerating chickens for example!). They must be tolerant of young children and comfortable around animals. Familiarity with tools and tractors is an asset, but not necessary. We hope that the apprentice who comes to the farm will take away an appreciation for the soil, livestock care and also gain an understanding of the ins and outs of running a medium sized organic farm. From finances to chicks to butter to feed, everything that makes up the farm will be available for exploration and experiencing.

The farm house has an attached, but private, separate entrance, two-bedroom suite with complete kitchen, living room, bathroom and laundry, available for accommodations. 2 days per week are dedicated to CSA prep and delivery, and Sundays are always a day off. The rest of the week is determined by the goings on of the farm at that time. A stipend will be negotiated depending on accommodations and meal requirements.

Check us out on FB under Barnyard Organics and to apply please email sallywb AT gmail.com with your resume and cover letter.

http://FoodWork.ca/950573

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=37505

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca