[sust-mar] Youth advisory board members needed, vol., Waterlution, anywhere in Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue May 9 10:40:36 EDT 2017

* Work in environment, conservation & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

VOLUNTEER POSITION
https://GoodWork.ca/948204

Position: Youth Advisory Board Members - The Great Waters Challenge
Location: from home, anywhere in Canada

Waterlution is seeking youth advisory board (YAB) members for the Great Waters Challenge. Waterlution is looking for young leaders from across Canada to join this youth-led water initiative for its second year (Term : July 2017 - March 2018)

Questions we are focused on in our search for YAB members:

How can we transform the way youth engage with their water?

What are creative ways in which youth can be drivers of increasing the water I.Q. of Canadians?

How can we best showcase and celebrate diverse stories about our the role our “great waters” have played in shaping our personal identity and community’s history?

How can you push yourself to further develop your leadership capacities?

Waterlution is selecting our second cohort of Youth Advisory Board (YAB) members for the Great Waters Challenge (GWC) in stage II, to build on the work that was accomplished in 2016-2017. We are excited to have new young leaders join our team over the next 8 months!

We know a few things about you already:
• You believe solving water challenges is in the hands of young Canadians and that they should be supported through education and access to a collaborative network.
• You have energy and ideas relating to water systems in your community, province or territory.
• You have proven experience with mobilizing and inspiring youth.
• You are fearless in seeking out new partnerships and collaborations (you have connections with water NGOs, artists/placemakers and schools/youth groups in your region).
• You have the confidence and/or skills to mentor youth and lead/facilitate workshops.
• You are comfortable with public speaking.
• You are a team player, a good listener and a keen learner.

Bonus: Experience working with children and youth in an educational or recreational setting, and with school curriculum would be a strong asset!

If this sounds like you, and you are interested in applying, please continue reading.

What’s the Youth Advisory Board (YAB)?

The YAB is a volunteer group composed of young Canadian leaders (between the ages of 18-29) with proven leadership experience in their community. These leaders are passionate about water, and are adept at mobilizing their peers to get involved and make a difference. The YAB is unique because members will have the opportunity to develop their water leadership capacity through a workshop facilitation training retreat (hosted by Waterlution in the Greater Toronto Area, October 13-15, 2017) and additionally through outreach and in-school workshop delivery related to the Great Waters Challenge.

What is the Great Waters Challenge?

The Great Waters Challenge is a project funded by Canadian Heritage and delivered by Waterlution, that launched in June 2016 and is running in stages until March 2018. Designed by youth and for youth, the Great Waters Challenge is now focused on offering water workshops in schools (Grade 4-12) across Canada.

Timeline Snapshot: How will the Great Waters Challenge roll out?
• Youth Advisory Board (YAB) Selection by July 17, 201
• Great Waters Challenge Starts: October 16, 2017
• Classes receive an in-person or virtual introductory workshop from a YAB member (October/November 2017 and January/February 2018, based on demand)The classes will complete two challenges by: December 22, 2017
• Participating schools complete challenge #3 (organizing a water-celebration) by March 22, 2018 (World Water Day).
• All classes who successfully complete all three challenges will be evaluated, winning classes will be selected by YAB. Top teams and prize winners will be announced by March 31, 2018.

Who is eligible to be on the Great Waters Challenge Youth Advisory Board?

We are looking for diversity! Outstanding young leaders (18-29 years of age), representing diverse communities from across Canada that have a background in and passion for water, the environment and mobilizing youth are welcome to apply. We highly encourage candidates from northern communities to apply. Water Innovation Labs (WIL) are a signature program of Waterlution and we are working towards a WILArctic focused on how northern communities would like to lead knowledge transfer on water with the rest of Canada. Waterlution sees its YAB members from northern territories taking a leadership role on this.

What is the commitment required?
• Commitment to this role is from July 29, 2017 to March 31, 2018 (an 8 month commitment). This means you will be based in your community/region for this duration with exception of holidays.
• You commit to a mandatory 2hr “congratulations + welcome” call on Saturday July 29, 2017 at 1:00PM ET (Time zone converter). You will meet your AB team members on the call and learn more about Waterlution, the Great Waters Challenge and your role.
• You commit to mandatory leadership and facilitation training retreat hosted by Waterlution October 13-15, 2017 (in the Greater Toronto Area details TBA).
• You commit YAB to attending a minimum of 10 team calls over the 8 month period (calls are 30-45 min long and fall on Tuesday evenings, typically every 2-3 weeks).
• You commit to be the enabler and proponent of the Great Waters Challenge in your region. You will deliver a minimum of 4 workshops (during school hours) at schools in your community and deliver virtual workshops/meet and greets with classes as needed.
• On average your time commitment will total 10-15 hours a month, (varying depending on the stage and needs of GWC; i.e some weeks 1 hr, others up to 8 hrs).
• You will be open to “emergence” - whereby you are flexible and willing to adapt to the needs that emerge throughout the process. We strongly encourage our YAB members to step into their leadership in every given opportunity.

What will you gain in return?
• You are showcased among a select group of prominent young leaders, featured on Waterlution’s website and through our social media! All YAB members will be announced on July 17, 2017.
• You attend a required Waterlution Leadership Training Retreat in the Greater Toronto Area (details TBA) to develop your facilitation and leadership skill-set.
• You receive a FourSight evaluation - this is an insightful tool to help you understand the value you bring to a team.
• You receive a letter of recommendation from Waterlution acknowledging your work upon completion of the program.
• You experience the “behind-the-scenes” work of a national challenge that will engage a wide array of youth in an exciting “gamified” process.
• You are one of our main youth sources for decision-making, hence this experience will help you build your leadership skills.
• You expand your network in your region and across Canada as one of Waterlution’s Youth Advisors.

Note: If an opportunity arises to work for Waterlution, the YAB member will be asked to step down from this YAB role.

Are you ready for the #challenge? Important Information:

If you said “yes”, then we invite you to fill out the application form so we can learn more about you! Direct link to form:

English: https://goo.gl/forms/hlHK98MoY7VwWzHA3

French: https://goo.gl/forms/X6BOWkeDju8ZlqU72

The deadline to apply is June 29, 2017. The number of Youth Advisory Board members to be selected is between 10-20 depending on quality of applications and geographic representation. All applicants notified of outcome: July 17th 2017

Questions? Please contact Dona Geagea, Great Waters Challenge Project Lead at dona at waterlution.org .

https://GoodWork.ca/948204

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=40284

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca