[sust-mar] Summer job: Environment Food Web Technician, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Sun Jun 17 00:00:29 EDT 2018

* Work in nature, conservation & environment - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER STUDENT JOB
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/931164

Position Title: Environmental Food Webs Technician
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Position Status: Temporary, 8 weeks [July 2, 2018 – August 31, 2018]
Hours: Full-time [35 hours per week]
Wage: $15.00 per hour

NOTE: There is an opportunity to extend this as a part-time position in the Fall term.

Position Overview:

The position will be with the Dynamic Environment and Ecosystem Health Research (DEEHR) Group at Saint Mary’s University. In this position, you will be mainly responsible for assisting with research and field work for 2 funded projects and assisting with sample preparation in the DEEHR laboratories. The 2 projects include bioaccumulation of contaminants in bald eagles and assisting with food web studies for two lakes impacted by invasive chain pickerel fish species. There will be field and laboratory work. The successful candidate needs to be comfortable with working long hours outdoors (in a variety of weather conditions), indoors with repetitive laboratory processes, be physically fit with the ability to lift up to 50 lbs, and be willing to work with bird, fish and invertebrate species.

The DEEHR Group at Saint Mary’s University) integrates multiple approaches in their research from diverse fields such as environmental chemistry, aquatic ecology, fish biology and population health. Our ultimate goal is to improve our understanding of the fate and effects of anthropogenic and natural toxicants in aquatic ecosystems and the way humans interact with aquatic environments. Our research group website can be found at: http://www.ap.smu.ca/~lcampbel/ .

Duties and Responsibilities:

Our work this spring/summer will include visits to a wildlife rehabilitation centre (bald eagles) and 2 lakes (1 in Nova Scotia, 1 in New Brunswick). The bald eagle project will involve dissection of eagles for tissue samples. The lake food web projects will involve visiting the two lakes, working with experts on collecting and processing fish and invertebrate samples. All samples will be prepared for analysis for mercury, arsenic, and other contaminates to assess the ecological damage and bioaccumulation of contaminants happening in these areas.

Other duties of the intern(s) will include lab work (such as washing glassware, general lab cleaning, assisting in the preparation and analysis of the collected samples). Tasks may also include assisting in literature reviews and involvement with an outreach activity. The DEEHR group typically also assigns an independent mini-project to each 15-week intern after 2-3 weeks as well.

Requirements/Qualifications:
• Must be a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada;
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Continuing postsecondary students in good standing encouraged to apply;
• Have an aptitude for safe work practices and the ability to multi-task in a busy work environment;
• Be able to work productively as part of a team while responding to feedback;
• Interest in future employment in the environmental or ‘green’ sector is considered an asset;
• Must be willing to work potentially long hours outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Must be willing to work with invertebrates (all technical skills will be trained).
• Must be comfortable working in wetland environments (i.e. potentially very wet and muddy).
• Must be able to work long hours in laboratory settings and maintain accuracy with protocols.
• Must be able to work well in both close team environments and individually.
• Past experience with field work is an asset.
• Past experience with lab work is an asset.
• Past experience with animal care and sampling is an asset.
• Past experience/knowledge in environmental science and/or ecotoxicology is an asset.
• First aid and/or wilderness remote first aid experience is an asset.

Please send inquiries with your cover letter(s), resume, and letter of reference(s) to Dr. Linda Campbell at lm.campbell at smu.ca as soon as possible. We hope to start the position on July 2 if at all possible.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/931164

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=46113

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca