[sust-mar] Summer student job: kind krafts, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri May 18 11:56:25 EDT 2018

* Work in nature, conservation & environment - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER STUDENT JOB
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/942754

Position: Krafting Kamp and Membership Coordinator
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

About kind krafts

kind krafts is a community-based non profit organization run by volunteers and community members. We facilitate art-based workshops and create krafts to sell at local shops and farmer's markets - we then donate 100% of the proceeds to an organization we are supporting for that season. Our focus changes quarterly and follows the themes of environmental sustainability, humanitarian, and animal welfare. Our cause for this winter is a humanitarian one, hoping to raise awareness about Sexualized Violence. We serve as a platform for social media exposure, raising awareness for the cause of the season, creating opportunities for change, and community involvement (by hosting art-based workshops and events related to the cause). You can visit our website to see a list of our upcoming events and workshops as an example (www.kindkrafts.com)

Summer Job Description

kind krafts is hiring for a Krafting Kamp and Membership Coordinator based in the HRM! We are looking for someone to facilitate a weekly crafting camp session at the Keshen Goodman Public Library from July-August (on Wednesday Afternoons) in addition to developing our membership program (flexible hours for this portion)! This is an outreach-based position that will require lots of hard work, engagement, and community relationships — the ideal candidate should have experience working with youth, can plan/execute a program AND has the ability to foster new relationships in developing our membership program.

Tasks
• Plan and execute a weekly crafting program over the duration of 8 weeks (8 sessions)
• Create a crafting program “how to” and deliver a program report at the end of the camp
• Create and develop our yearly membership program
• Approach businesses for membership
• Build partnerships with small business’, community and student organizations
• Other logistical tasks, as they arise
• Prioritize First Nations people, women, people of colour, Black Nova Scotians, Inuit and Métis people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, transsexual, queer and intersex people, people with disabilities, Acadians, and other historically marginalized people, as participants, facilitators, partners, etc.

A Successful Candidate:
• Has experience working with youth (in a camp setting or groups
etc.)
• Has experience with nonprofit organizations
• Has communication skills (can make a “business pitch”)
• Is organized and able to juggle multiple tasks
• Has experience in facilitating events
• Has interest or experience in social justice, environmental sustainability, and animal welfare movements (through paid or volunteer work, lived experience)
• Is committed to an anti-oppressive framework, consensus-based decision making, non-hierarchical, and collaborative workplaces.
• suggested access to car (but not required)

Information for Applicants

Employment Equity

kind krafts believes that employment equity is a necessary practice to challenge some of the structural injustices of our society.
kind krafts views Employment Equity as a pro-active measure to recruit people from historically disadvantaged groups. A non-comprehensive list of these groups includes First Nations people, women, people of colour, Black Nova Scotians, Inuit and Métis people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, transsexual, queer and intersex people, people with disabilities, Acadians, and working class people. This policy seeks to act as an extension of kind krafts Anti-Oppression Mandate. If you would like to be considered under the Employment Equity policy, please indicate so in your cover letter. You are not required to state under which basis you are applying. (Our Equity Policy is based on that of The Loaded Ladle)

Funding-Related Requirements

This is a Canada Summer Jobs funded position. According to program policies, qualified applicants:
• Are between 15 and 30 years of age at the time of hire
• Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
• Are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (foreign students are not eligible)
• Are legally entitled to work in Canada, according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulation

~~~~~~~~~~~

$368.25 compensation per week

Interviews will take place between June 10th and 13th

This is an 8-week contract, with a start date of July 1st 2018.

Apply

Applications due: Sunday, June 3rd, 11:50 AST

Applications can be sent to kindkrafts at gmail.com
(cover letter and resume in single file)

We acknowledge that this job will be taking place on unceded Mi'kmaq territory. This territory is covered by the “Treaties of Peace and Friendship” which Mi’kmaq and Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) people first signed with the British Crown in 1725. The treaties did not deal with surrender of lands and resources but in fact recognized Mi’kmaq and Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) title and established the rules for what was to be an ongoing relationship between nations.

~~~~~~~~~~~

About the Krafting Kamp

krafternoons with kind krafts

kind krafts krafting kamp will take place over July and August of 2018. The kamp is free for any youth (8+) to join and will occur on a weekly basis on Wednesday afternoons from 2:30-4:00pm. The first session will begin on July 4th and the last session on August 22nd.

The crafts made at the krafting kamp will be a combination of donations to kind krafts and crafts that the youth will get to take home. Some weeks, we will be working on a project that takes a few sessions to finish, others the craft will be completed in one session. The youth will learn new skills including making knots, knitting, sewing, drawing, painting, creating patterns, and designing new crafts.

The intentions of this camp are to foster stronger community relationships, contribute to the overall social sustainability of the community, and to engage in leadership skills that are transferred between the participants and the facilitators. We want to create a space that is open to express artistic individuality and embraces learning.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/942754

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=45724

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca