[sust-mar] Senior Finance Manager, full-time, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Apr 25 14:47:08 EDT 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

HALIFAX JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
https://GoodWork.ca/962235

Position: Senior Finance Manager
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hours: fulltime: 37.5 hours/week, benefits

ORGANIZATION

The Ecology Action Centre is an environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. We take leadership on critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. We are grounded in community, and are a strong voice and watchdog for our environment. We work to catalyze change through policy advocacy, community development, and building awareness. We take a holistic approach to the environment and our economy to create a just and sustainable society.

The Ecology Action Centre is a busy, vibrant organization that was started in 1971. We strive to promote a diverse and inclusive organizational culture that emphasizes strong values, collaboration, quality work, and real impact. We value our members, volunteers, staff, and partners.

POSITION

The Senior Finance Manager is responsible for leading and accomplishing day-to-day, monthly, and annual functions pertaining to accounting, financial analysis, payroll, budgeting, forecasting, and reporting. The organization owns the 4,500 sq ft building it occupies and has 40+ staff, including seven Action Teams, the Fundraising Team, and the Operations Team. This position liaises with most staff. Additional responsibilities include oversight, revision, and maintenance of robust financial systems and controls to safeguard the organization's assets.

This position requires creativity, passion, dedication, and a high level of confidentiality. Reporting to the Director of Operations & Development, the Senior Finance Manager has the professional, management, and mentoring skills to lead and empower the Finance Team, which consists of the Senior Finance Manager, Finance Manager, Finance Clerk, and Data & Systems Officer.

The incumbent uses best practices to continually improve the Finance Team and works to ensure that the team provides positive, service-oriented support to staff. The position actively participates in both strategic planning and operational planning for the organization, ensuring sound short-term and long-term business decisions. Also required is an understanding of the technology and database requirements of an organization of this size.

The Senior Finance Manager is responsible for financial reporting to funders and supports others throughout the organization by providing accurate and timely budgeting and reporting to enable effective decision-making regarding program development, monitoring, and evaluation.

This position is being advertised due to the upcoming mid-July retirement of a long-term employee.

CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
• Analytical – Positive problem-solving attitude, high analytical ability, and KPI-driven results.
• Attention to Detail – Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and accuracy.
• Collaboration – Works productively with diverse individuals to target and achieve optimal results.
• Communication – Effective listener & clear communicator with excellent written and verbal skills.
• Conflict Management – Assesses, addresses, and resolves conflict situations as they arise.
• Critical Thinking – Balances complex situations through reflection and process design.
• Decision-Making - Objectively identifies/critically assesses issues, developing appropriate decisions.
• Ethical Conduct – Bound by integrity and ethical principles aligned with CPA Code of Conduct.
• Financial Reporting – High aptitude for financial reporting and explaining information in simple terms.
• Inter-Personal Skills – Builds strong, positive internal/external relationships based on respect and trust.
• Management - Knows and applies models of management to influence, inspire, and motivate staff.
• Professional – Strong work ethic, respect for diversity, commitment to strengthen professional skills.
• Project Management – Plans and manages individual and team work flow to accomplish objectives.
• Self-Motivated – Works well independently, takes initiative, and adapts work schedule as required.
• Time Management – Organizes time effectively and manages multiple deadlines.

RESPONSIBILITIES

All core competencies listed above are critical requirements for this position.

For a thorough and detailed list of responsibilities and duties associated with this position, please see the full job description here, and linked at http://www.ecologyaction.ca/jobs.

REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• CPA or comparable professional accounting designation.
• 5+ years experience in a similar position with a non-profit organization.
• Excellent knowledge of GAAP and ASNPO.
• Experience developing and managing $3M+ budgets.
• Experience managing foundation and government grants.
• Supervisory/management experience, including coaching, mentoring, and staff development.
• Strong knowledge of MS Office including Word, advanced Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Experience working with Sage 50.
• Experience working with ADP payroll system, including payroll training and knowledge of legislation.
• Thorough knowledge of audit procedures, risk management, and preparation of financial statements, including year-end.
• Knowledge of contact management databases and IT systems, including Microsoft 365.

DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Experience supporting and advising senior leadership.
• Commitment to environmental issues and social justice.
• Demonstrated collaborative skills working with diverse groups.
• Conflict resolution training.
• Experience working with a non-profit Board of Directors.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities.

We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community.

Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Start: early July 2019
• 37.5 hours per week at $25.00 - $27.00 per hour
• Cost-shared benefits plan and 4 weeks paid vacation per year.
• This is an on-site position at our Halifax office, which is located at 2705 Fern Lane in our renovated, energy-efficient green office building.
• The first floor of our building is designed to be universally accessible. We have a ramp at the front entrance with automatic door openers, a permanent ramp to the back door, a stair lift in the foyer between the split levels, and an accessible gender-neutral washroom. There is a good turning radius for wheelchairs on most of the first floor, including our primary meeting room and several work spaces.
• Our staff work in shared offices, with a moderate noise level, and good natural light.
• This job involves extended viewing of a computer monitor.
• Must have some flexibility in schedule when urgent situations within the organization arise.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Marla MacLeod, Managing Director at employment at ecologyaction.ca . Please use the subject heading "Senior Finance Manager Position".

Please submit your application in the form of a pdf document with required elements in the following order: cover letter, resume, references.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Interviews will begin the week of May 27, 2019.

The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s largest environmental organizations. The Centre always welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/962235

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca