[sust-mar] Environmental science instructors / Camp counselors, paid+accom., Whale Camp, Grand Manan Island NB

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Jan 31 11:44:28 EST 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER CAMP JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/SummerJobs
https://GoodWork.ca/976805

Position: Environmental Science Instructor / Camp Counselor
Type: summer jobs / summer student positions
Location: Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick

The Whale Camp at the Fundy Marine Science Institute is dedicated to providing marine biology experiential educational programs and facilities for learning about the dynamic marine ecology of the Bay of Fundy as well as the coastal, terrestrial and human ecologies of Grand Manan Island. Our goal is to use hands-on, discovery-oriented marine science activities to increase awareness and understanding of these living systems and by extension the living systems of our oceans and planet.

We are seeking a few well qualified camp counselors with experience in outdoor environmental instruction and some background in marine science to plan and carry out activities for our campers ages 10-17 at our residential marine science, nature, adventure camp. Daytime program includes observations and place-based activities based on marine ecosystems of the Bay of Fundy. Topics include marine mammal biology, tidal ecology, geology, ornithology, culture and history of the Canadian maritimes and the dynamic processes of the ecosystem in the Bay of Fundy. Our programs also include hiking, sailing and kayaking.

Environmental Science Instructors are responsible for facilitating daytime field experiences and environmental learning activities on land and at sea. Our core curriculum provides fun, innovative, hands-on, discovery oriented educational, and meaningful lessons in topics that include: marine science, geology, forest ecology, botany, oceanography, coastal / island ecology and ornithology. Lesson planning and curriculum development is essential.

Requirements: related degree; experience with and enthusiasm for working with youth in an outdoor setting; demonstrated leadership, teaching and facilitation skills; confirmed knowledge of a variety of outdoor science activities and skills; familiarity with team building and group dynamics activities to foster self-esteem and cooperation among campers; desire to be a member of a shared working and living environment; strong work ethic; positive attitude; flexibility; creativity; sense of humor; CPR/ First Aid; Canadian citizens will be required to be licensed to drive a 12-passenger van (class varies across provinces). A number of whale watching trips, puffin trips and kayaking excursions are provided.

Salary is $600/week plus food and lodging.

Responsibilities include:
• Plan and facilitate daily science and adventure education program for students
• Plan and facilitate group initiatives and team building exercises
• Structure camper time and activities to keep campers safe and productive
• Enforce safety regulations and provide emergency first-aid assistance when needed
• Administer medications to the campers in your group that need it during the daytime program. Record this information in the First Aid log book
• Dispense camper money from the bank and keep track of bank balance for your students.
• Be a positive role model and mentor for campers
• Communicate with parents as requested by Directors
• Communicate effectively with all staff on a daily basis
• Participate in travel and transportation of students
• Maintain science equipment
• Responsible for set up and break down of science center as assigned
• Maintain personal first aid kit
• Take on one additional responsibility i.e. group pictures with names, orientation facilitation, etc. when needed
• Help with general camp maintenance
• Provide proper camper supervision
• Assist with big clean days, packing and unpacking.
• Complete one summer project to enhance the program. Directors must approve project.
• Add 2+ professional quality lesson plans to existing program notebooks
• Participate in Program Planning / Curriculum Development / Staff Meetings
• Maintain and display a positive and encouraging attitude at all times

To be considered, please submit a resume and letter of interest to info at whalecamp.com , and complete the online application form from our website: https://www.whalecamp.com/registration-a-contact-us/employment-opportunities .

Applications will be considered on a rolling basis through February 25, 2018. We look forward to meeting passionate educators who are ready for an adventure!!

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=50867

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca