[sust-mar] Education committee member / Teacher, vol., anywhere in Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jul 24 18:30:32 EDT 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

COMMITTEE MEMBER / VOLUNTEER
https://GoodWork.ca/volunteer
https://GoodWork.ca/988245

Call for Candidates for TREC Charitable Foundation
Education Committee Member: Education Professional
Educating and inspiring for a 100% renewable energy future

Location: anywhere in Canada
Type: unpaid/volunteer (1-2 hours/month)

Relay Education (incorporated as TREC Charitable Foundation) is a national charity that delivers unique and engaging renewable energy education programs for all ages. We seek to empower all Canadians, especially youth, to encourage informed choices about our shared energy and natural resources. Our programs create a lasting impression on approximately 20,000 individuals each year. As our programs enter their 15th year of delivery and our 9th year as a registered charity, we are seeking an experienced education professional to join our Education Committee, to help us deliver our mission to educate and inspire individuals and communities in building a 100% renewable energy future.

In your role as an Education Committee Member, you will be part of a vibrant and growing educational charity that is bringing new and innovative energy and environment programming to Canadians. We develop and deliver curriculum-linked programs to schools, host fairs and festivals, participate in community events, support teachers and are building creative partnerships throughout Canada. Beginning in Ontario, Relay Education now has programs across Canada in Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. We offer classroom programs in both English and French. If you are interested in being part of a passionate, dedicated team please read below and see the instructions on how to apply.

Desired Skills
• At least 1 year of experience teaching in elementary or secondary schools in Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan or British Columbia
• Familiarity with elementary and secondary school curriculum, especially related to STEM
• Creative thinking – able to develop unique ways to teach hands-on renewable energy to grades K - 12
• Attention to detail

Expectations
• Provide input and advice into Relay Education’s energy-focused educational programming for youth
• Work with the Programming Staff to develop engaging hands-on STEM activities.
• Support partnership building when opportunities are available;
• Act as an ambassador for the organization in your community;
• Preparation in advance for education committee meetings, including review of materials provided;
• One-year term with the possibility of extension;
• Willing to participate on a voluntary basis.

Time Commitment

Committee Work 1-2 hours/month

Instructions

To express your interest and for more information please send us an e-mail:
info at relayeducation.com
Please include a cover letter to indicate how your skills and experiences can help us achieve our goals and attach your CV. We will follow-up to schedule a conversation.

The Education Commitment starts in Fall 2019.

Application deadline: Friday September 6th, 2019

~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Programs

We deliver meaningful engagement to approximately 20,000 people annually in Ontario with the following programs:
• Kids' World of Energy Elementary Program offers curriculum connected renewable energy excursions and in-classroom programming to students in grades 5, 6, 7 and 9. Part of the Kids’ World of Energy program, is our annual Festival in Toronto. The Kids’ World of Energy Festival, is a four-day educational event, reaching 2,000 students, parents and teachers. The Festival was developed to bring grade 5 and 6 students together to provide them with a focused day on energy-environment connections. The festival began in 2008.
• The Green Collar Careers secondary program engages high school students in how they can make an impact in building a sustainable future and the different career opportunities they can pursue in the burgeoning “green economy”.

History of Relay Education

Relay Education was created by the Toronto Renewable Energy Cooperative (TREC) to support, through education and capacity building, its mandate for the transition to a democratic renewable energy future. Established in 1998, TREC was formed to develop community-owned renewable energy projects and achieved a major milestone in 2002 by building the first urban-based, co-operatively owned wind turbine in North America. In the process, TREC realized the need for greater awareness and education around renewable energy and green technologies, especially for youth. Out of this, TREC’s Education programs were founded, which has grown from providing general renewable energy information to developing and delivering unique learning activities linked to curricula across Canada.

A growing interest in the educational programs led to the incorporation and launch of TREC Education in 2010, a registered charity, which now delivers these education programs. In 2018, TREC Education completed a rebranding process and became Relay Education. Relay Education’s programs have engaged more than 100,000 students over the past 10 years. There have been significant and regular investments over the past decade to ensure our education, training and outreach programs are the best learning experiences possible, linked to the curricula of schools districts throughout Canada and are an engaging and memorable experience for all.

Educating and inspiring for a 100% renewable energy future: Relay Education is a national charity that delivers engaging renewable energy education programs. We seek to empower all Canadians, especially youth and Indigenous youth, to make informed choices about our shared natural resources.

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/988245

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca