[sust-mar] Organic farm crew 2020, f/t, accom., Centre Burlington, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Fri Oct 11 11:30:46 EDT 2019

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

NOVA SCOTIA JOBS
http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/992945

Position: Farm crew and Production manager
Location: Centre Burlington, Nova Scotia

Abundant Acres is hiring for the 2020 season, which runs from April 1st till early November.

Our farm is focused on growing a wide selection of the best quality produce We also make training new farmers a priority, and are constantly experimenting with how to structure the farm to provide meaningful learning oppourtunities for our employees (and us!)

We grow on three acres of minimally tilled, deep compost covered raised beds and three acres of Bio360 plastic mulch interplanted with clover pathways. We market through our colabritive farm store in Halifax, The Warehouse Market, which is also the hub for our 225 member CSA.

Please note that our farm is a drug, alcohol and smoke free space. In order to help us be present with each other and the work at hand, we don't use phones or other media devices for entertainment during work hours.

We have four heated cabins available for rent if needed. We also have a small house with kitchen, bathroom and living space for the crew.

We are hiring for the following positions:

~~~~~~~~~~~

(1) Production Manager

The production Manager is responsible for direct seeding, managing the seedling greenhouse, making harvest lists and working closely with the farm owners to keep everything organized and running smoothly. This is a great position for someone with solid farming experience looking to take on more responsibility and learn a lot about running a farm. This position is mostly Monday through Friday, with occasional weekend work required.

Requirements
• High level of organizational and leadership ability
• Experience with direct seeding, using tractors, seedling production and harvest management are all helpful, but the right person can be trained to fill a lack of experience in any of these areas.
• Cares deeply about a job well done and is willing to go the extra mile to ensure the success of the farm.

Compensation

Starting pay is $15-$18 per hour, depending on experience and ability. Raises, and a salaried position with profit share is possible after a successful first season in this role.

~~~~~~~~~~~

(2) Field crew

This position centres on transplanting, hand tool cultivation, harvesting and preparing produce for market. For team members with the desire to take on more responsibility we will train and delegate as much as possible. Our work week is usually 40-50 hours per week with weekends off, except for sharing in weekend irigation and greenhouse ventilation duties on a rotation with the rest of the team. During spring planting and early summer cultivation season we sometimes need to work up to 70 hours per week.

Requirements:
• Two years minimum experience in commercial-scale vegetable production.
• Exceptionally high level of physical fitness and endurance.
• Cheerful, friendly attitude, willing and able to get along with others, passionate about good farming, good food, community, and careful stewardship of the land.

Compensation

Pay is minimum wage for all hours worked, with raises for real go-getters that can effectively take on more advanced tasks.

~~~~~~~~~~~

To apply, please email davidgreenberg71 at gmail.com

Include a letter of intent and three references. At least one of the references should be from a farmer that previously employed you.

If you have any questions about application or our farm, you can call David at (902) 757-1640.

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/992945

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/992945

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms