[sust-mar] Join our National Day of Action "Strike for Climate Peace: No New Fighter Jets"

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Thu Jul 16 23:02:12 EDT 2020

Hello Sust-Mar friends!

I hope you are all well despite this lockdown.

On Friday, July 24, the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, World Beyond War, Peace Brigades International Canada, WILPF and the Ottawa Raging Grannies are having a National Day of Action “Strike for Climate Peace: No New Fighter Jets” to tell the federal government we are opposed to its planned $19 billion procurement of 88 new fighter jets. The bids are due at the end of July and the federal government will decide in 2022 which fighter jet that they will buy (Lockheed Martin F35, Boeing Super Hornet or SAAB Gripen).

You can read more about the terrible social, economic and environmental impacts of this fighter jet procurement in this recent article in Ricochet Media: https://ricochet.media/en/3108/spending-19-billion-on-fighter-jets-wont-fight-covid-19-or-climate-change

There are 14 cities that are going to do an action so far: Aldergrove BC, Victoria, Vancouver, Sidney BC, Langley BC, Regina SK, Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Kitchener, Collingwood, Montreal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eEHuocLlwgRwpPyuR9-0iKegZFwCN2nuZL4cCyH6CDs/edit?usp=sharing

We are hoping you can do something too. All you need to do is stand in front of your MP’s office with a sign “No New Fighter Jets” for 5-60 minutes, deliver a letter to the MP’s office or in the mail (we will send you one you can use) and take a photo and send it to VOW: info at vowpeace.org<mailto:info at vowpeace.org>.

Resources on the VOW web site “No Fighter Jets”:
https://vowpeace.org/nofighterjets/

Graphics that you can use for Twitter, Facebook & Instagram and your signs are here if you like:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EmfdJrfACPx15irQ_XwNgHb7obYicLO9?usp=sharing

If you’d like to join, Brent Patterson of Peace Brigades International and Tamara Lorincz are hosting a Zoom meeting on Monday at 7:30 pm EDT: “Strategy meeting to discuss plans to stop the new fighter jets”
https://wilfrid-laurier.zoom.us/j/95532381372?pwd=Z2JwQk1YYzUweTNyTnRudFZCL0Q4UT09
Meeting ID: 955 3238 1372
Password: 541408

I hope you will join do an action on July 24 to call for a green new deal and a just recovery, not new weapons.

In solidarity for peace, earth and justice,

Tamara Lorincz

What you can do for our National Day of Action:

  1.  Plan a short demonstration “Strike for Climate Peace: No New Fighter Jets” demonstration outside your MPs for Friday, July 24
  2.  Let people and the media know about your rally (VOW will send a press release you can modify and help with promotion)
  3.  On July 24, stand outside your Member of Parliament’s Office with a sign (be sure to wear a mask & respect physical distancing)
  4.  Take a picture at your demonstration and send it to VOW (we will compile the pictures from across the country) and send to info at vowpeace.org<mailto:info at vowpeace.org>
  5.  Deliver a letter to your MP (to their office or in the mailbox. VOW will send a letter you can modify. Resources will be here: https://vowpeace.org/nofighterjets/