[sust-mar] Farm resident/couple, off-grid cabin, barter, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jul 21 12:03:58 EDT 2020

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

OFF-GRID CABIN / REGENERATIVE FARMING / ORGANIC ORCHARD
http://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
https://GoodWork.ca/969075

ORGANIC AND REGENERATIVE AGRICULTURE

Position: Farm residents (for a couple)
Farm: Sweet Earth Farm
Location: Earltown, near Truro & Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia (housing available)
Type: work-trade or rent / various options (see below)

Unique opportunity to live in an off-grid cabin on a diverse regenerative farm. Paid farm work available. Starting immediately (however, if you are not available immediately, or are only available for a month or two, please do not hesitate to apply as we are considering any and all options).

Sweet Earth Farm is a 190-acre family-owned farm in rural Nova Scotia. We have a 10-acre haskap orchard and mixed pastured livestock, including milking cow, pigs, chickens and beef cattle. As much as practical, we implement regenerative agriculture methods, including rotational grazing, living mulch, no-till, etc. The farm comprises about 60 acres of pasture and 130 acres of woodlot, with trails, brooks/river and beautiful scenery.

We are looking for a young couple to move into an off-grid tiny cabin on our farm starting immediately. We would like at least one of you to work for us from now until October – hours vary. There may also be opportunity for some part-time work through the winter and definitely full-time work for at least one person starting in May 2021 as well as opportunity to derive your own income off of our land, depending on your interest(s).

The cabin was constructed in 2019, is 10’ by 16’ and located in a very private area of our farm next to a lovely brook, with beautiful views. There is an outdoor two-burner propane stove, loft for sleeping, outhouse and indoor wood stove. There is no cell service, running water or electricity. Our family home is available for laundry, washing, Wifi and phone calls. We also invite you to share meals with our family, if you like, and depending on the circumstances and your dietary needs.

The type of work available includes help with the following tasks:
• Tending to our haskap orchard, including mowing, spreading organic amendments, and general tidying up (immediate task)
• Transplanting, installing birdnetting and harvesting haskaps (May to July)
• Fencing and other building projects (ongoing)
• Daily chores, including feeding and moving animals and milking our Jersey cow (ongoing)
• Pruning haskap plants and other fruit trees (fall and winter)
• Thinning trees in woodlot (fall and winter).

We are seeking a couple interested in a small-scale, yet profitable, farming lifestyle, who are conscientious of their ecological impact to the earth and who are wanting to be part of a rural and resilient community. You must be healthy and reasonably fit and value homemade and home-grown food. If mutual interest, there is opportunity for you to stay on our farm long-term – we will have larger accommodations in the future.

We envision this opportunity would be perfect for individuals interested in regenerative farming and/or individuals who enjoy peace and quiet in a beautiful rural setting. You must be seeking a simple life and be content with few amenities. There are employment opportunities in the community. It would be very useful to have your own vehicle.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please reply to this ad with some information about yourselves, including a bit about your backgrounds and why you are interested in this opportunity. If selected for an interview, we can discuss the various possible arrangements. Please do not apply if you are not a Canadian citizen or do not have permanent residency status in Canada.

Contact:
sweetearthfarm.ns at gmail.com
subject: farm residents

http://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
https://GoodWork.ca/969075

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/969075

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca