[sust-mar] Climate Action Policy Researcher, summer, anywhere in Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Jun 11 13:22:46 EDT 2020

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

CLIMATE ACTION JOBS & SUMMER JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/931865

Position: Climate Action Policy Researcher (Heat pumps)
Term: 35 hours per week for 12 weeks. Flexible on start date.
Eligibility: age 30 & under (see below)

Location: anywhere in Canada (home office)

About My Sea to Sky:

My Sea to Sky is a people-powered environmental organization that was founded in 2014 to inspire and empower British Columbians to safeguard the spectacular natural legacy of Howe Sound.

We organize educational events; coordinate research; build partnerships and respectful relationships; lift up First Nations voices and culture; and facilitate public engagement with our municipal, provincial, and federal governments.

We aim to inspire our community to become activists, and make it as simple as possible for people to take action at critical moments.

Join our team of passionate changemakers.

Job Description:

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has warned that we need a rapid, far-reaching culture shift to immediately reduce greenhouse-gas emissions and limit warming to 1.5 degrees. Our plan is to tackle this climate challenge from the grassroots up, by empowering municipalities to adopt policies that will transform our transportation.

The goal of this 12-week project is to create a detailed report on municipal initiatives to support and incentivize switching from natural gas powered heat and hot water systems to heat pumps in communities across Canada. This position reports directly to the Executive Director (ED) of My Sea to Sky and will work closely with the Climate Caucus network.

Responsibilities:

Research
• Identify and connect with experts, municipal councilors, and the relevant Climate Caucus Working Groups.
• Research, identify, and evaluate municipal options for incentivizing heat pump uptake in new and existing buildings.
• Coordinate with Climate Caucus to develop:
• A comprehensive list of heat pump initiatives, including links to examples, a jurisdictional assessment to identify which municipalities have the ability to implement the initiative, and a brief analysis using the “One Planet Framework” or equivalent.
• A list of priority initiatives that have both high impact and high implementability.
• Background briefing papers, including case studies, for each priority initiative, and accompanying resolutions for use “off the shelf.”

Relationship building
• Build close relationships with councilors and local government staff from across Canada.
• Build relationships with experts to provide advice and insight.

Management
• Manage any associated budget or expenditures.
• Attend meetings as required.
• Manage any grievances that arise to resolve conflict.
• Use time tracking software (Toggl) to keep track of your hours and specific tasks.

Required skills & attributes:
• Relevant education and/or experience in research, heat pumps, or policy.
• Strong understanding of climate and energy policies and issues.
• A flair for organizing and attention to detail.
• Ability to synthesize information and problem solve.
• Experience working as part of a team or independently.
• Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening).
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a diverse range of people.
• Ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity.
• Computer literate (websites, e-communications, Google docs, Word, Excel)
• Passionate about the environment and social change.
• Friendly, self-motivated, patient, confident, and professional.
• Organized, creative, and resourceful.
• Ability to build strong, collaborative relationships.
• Willingness to learn through reflection, evaluation, and by giving and receiving feedback.

Helpful but not required:

Experience working with local governments.

Experience analyzing, drafting, and/or communicating policy in the areas of energy, infrastructure, transportation, corporate administration, community development, planning, asset management and/or environmental services.

Position requires your own:
• Computer
• Internet
• Cell phone

Location:

Working from home

Hours:

35 hours per week for 12 weeks. Flexible on start date.

Flexible on days & hours.

Compensation:

$18.00/hour plus benefits

Candidate eligibility:

Funding for this position is provided by the Canada Summer Jobs program. Candidates must be:
• between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
• a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
• legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations.

*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.

Application process:

At My Sea to Sky we value an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of Indigenous people, people of colour, people identifying as LGBTQI, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, people living with disabilities, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. We encourage applicants from a diversity of genders, cultures, languages, and experiences to apply.

Many skills are transferable and passion goes a long way. If you feel you have a good handle on many of the skills listed above—but not all—please do still consider applying. We are prepared to adapt this role and train where needed for the right person.

To apply, please submit a brief resume (no more than 2 pages) documenting your experience and qualifications relevant to this role; and a brief cover letter detailing how you meet the qualities we are looking for and why you would be the best person for this role (no more than 2 pages).

Submit your resume and cover letter to: info at myseatosky.org

Please apply by midnight, Sunday, 21st June 2020.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/931865

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/931865

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca