Shared farm — communal, sustainable living,, accom., Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Jun 12 14:02:01 EDT 2020

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SHARED SUSTAINABLE FARM
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
https://GoodWork.ca/922865

Shared farm: Communal / sustainable living
Farm: Hampton Farms
Location: Southampton, Cumberland County, near Amherst, Nova Scotia

When the covid situation eases... this opportunity is for people aspiring to go back to nature, live communally and *sustainably* in Cumberland County, NS, and learn about the alpaca fibre business. You do not need to be an experienced farmer.

So far, I have two takers but, eventually, I would love 4 more *non-smoking* individuals/couples to be part of this. I know it will take time to find people who share my goals and outlook and who have good chemistry with me personally. I’m a quiet, middle-aged guy who mostly keeps to himself, but I also love good conversation around the dinner table or the woodstove. I am open to people of any spiritual or political viewpoint but not anyone who is anti-religious or who needs to be only with people who share their worldview (e.g., people who are overly “woke”).

Rather than asking you to work 40 hours a week or for a lot of money, I just want 10 hours per week of your help and a $500 monthly contribution to the common living expenses (which covers your shelter, meals, and wifi). At the end of each calendar year, I will give you 10% of the farm profits (which currently come primarily from alpaca fibre products, airbnb, and a small biennial blueberry harvest). By pulling together on the activities listed below, we can increase the farm revenues so that your profit-share at the end of the year is a few thousand, instead of a few hundred.

I have a pair of beautiful riverfront hobby farms in Southampton, NS, each with a large 4-bedroom house. There are 3 acres of wild blueberries, 6 acres of pasture, and about 8 acres of woods that provide more than enough firewood to heat both homes without having to clear-cut any areas.

Over the last 4 years, I have been raising alpacas and developing a thriving fibre business around them. I have 4 at the moment, but I want to build the herd up to about 20 and to grow the diversity of products I derive from the fibre. A small portion of my food comes from the property, and my vision is to increase that slowly and steadily every year.

Some of the new areas of activity that I want to undertake (once the right long-term cohabitants are found) are:
• bee-keeping (which will also help pollinate the blueberry field)
• developing blueberry condiments and other blueberry products
• permaculture
• large vegetable and herb gardens
• poultry (for both meat and eggs)
• farm store for the alpaca products and blueberry products
• fishing our 1500 feet of river
• alternative, renewable energy to reduce our dependence on the grid
• art studio, as there are a lot of tourists here in the summer

The 6 roles available are:
• fibre artist
• livestock keeper
• gardener/forager
• handyperson
• beekeeper/blueberry cultivator
• forester

If you have a family, the rooms won’t work for you, but I am amenable to you building a tiny home on the property and then I would forego much of the financial contribution, obviously.

Tell me all about yourself if you decide to message me about this. Contact me at arthurbrown101 at gmail.com

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/922865

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca