[sust-mar] Atlantic Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, summer job, Sierra Club Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jun 17 15:10:21 EDT 2020

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOBS & STUDENT JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/SummerJobs
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia

Position: Atlantic Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator
Type: summer job / age 30 & under
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

POSITION

Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter is seeking an outgoing, engaging, and goal-oriented individual to help with volunteer and membership recruitment this summer.

The position will involve working closely with our programs and volunteers, organizing and attending online events to educate the public about our mandate, activities, and to recruit volunteers and members for Sierra Club Canada Foundation.

The candidate will assist in communications, such as developing social media, newsletters, emails, and web-based materials to promote local and national events, volunteer opportunities, webinars, and activities.

The candidate will be required to work from a home office.

About Sierra Club Canada Foundation

Sierra Club Canada Foundation empowers people to be leaders in protecting, restoring and enjoying healthy and safe ecosystems.

At its heart, Sierra Club Canada Foundation is a grassroots organization with a “think globally, act locally” philosophy. Members are encouraged to actively contribute to environmental causes that engage or inspire them, in a capacity that best suits their capabilities. Working with a strong volunteer base and collaboratively with other organizations has allowed the Sierra Club Canada Foundation to successfully engage in a range of environmental activities that directly benefit both people and the planet.

Sierra Club Canada Foundation is an open, volunteer-led, democratic organization whose work is grounded in the values and principles as expressed through the UN Earth Charter process and document. Formally endorsed by us in June 2002, it is still the world’s best effort at reaching global Program Selection Mailing Address Organization Contacts consensus on the fundamental values and principles needed for global sustainability. The UN Earth Charter's ‘Four Pillars of Sustainability’ are: Respect and Care for the Community of Life; Ecological Integrity; Social and Economic Justice; and Democracy, Nonviolence, and Peace.

The Atlantic Canada Chapter of Sierra Club works through education and action to green the economy and protect the environment. We engage in projects designed to connect children to nature, protect wildlife and wild spaces, and offer solutions to climate change. Major priorities/programs right now include Wild Child Forest School & Outdoor Education Watch for Wildlife vehicle collision prevention program, protection of oceans and endangered whales from oil and gas development, and climate action.

ELIGIBILITY

To be eligible for this position, you must meet the following criteria for Canada Summer Jobs:
• between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*
• a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations

*The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.

**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student's time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour market.

For more information, please go here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/canada-summer-jobs/screening-eligibility.html

REMUNERATION

Wage: $13 / hour for 30-35 hrs per week for 8-9 weeks

Start Date: July 6 or 13th, 2020, depending on the availability of the successful candidate

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

TASKS
• preparation of outreach and communication materials
• organizing online volunteer drives and educational / advocacy events (e.g. volunteer socials, panels, hikes, etc.)
• attending public events and festivals, where possible
• member services and support
• promoting local programs such as Wild Child, Clean Energy Now, and Watch for Wildlife
• engaging volunteers in Hiking Hero, our national Hike for the Environment
• coordinating with volunteer and member engagement staff across the country
• assisting in encouraging participation in our Annual General Meeting, scheduled for September

SKILLS NEEDED FOR THIS POSITION
• Teamwork
• Communication using social media and online engagement tools
• Digital skills and graphic design to develop media content
• Online professional communications using video conferencing, email, scheduling meetings, G suite apps
• Leadership

TO APPLY:

Please submit cover letter, CV and references in a single document to hr at sierraclub.ca by June 29th, 5 PM Atlantic TIME.

Please write the following Subject line for your application email: Atlantic Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator.

If you have questions about this position, please call Gretchen Fitzgerald at 1-902-444-7096 .

Sierra Club Canada Foundation is committed to equity and respect for all peoples and persons in all of our work. Diverse candidates and qualifications are welcomed. We will accommodate disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/936865

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/936865

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca