[sust-mar] Farm intern/Store helper, f/t stipend + accom., Watershed Farm, South Shore

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Sat Apr 3 15:59:37 EDT 2021

* Work in local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

Organic Farm & Local Food Jobs
https://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
https://FoodWork.ca/Now

Position: Farm intern/Store helper
Location: South Shore Nova Scotia, near Baker Settlement, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay
Type: internship with weekly stipend and accoommodation provided

We are hiring for the 2021 growing season. Watershed Farm is a mixed livestock, vegetable, herb, flower, fruit and seed farm on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. We have been working with organic and Biodynamic principles for more than twenty years and we are dedicated to the farm’s educational role, welcoming school groups and hosting workshops, interns and events.

This season we are excited to be working with Farm Managers Maureen and Kaitlyn, and we are seeking two more farm interns who will live and work with us at Watershed Farm. As interns, you will also be helping out at local farmers’ markets, as well as at our sister organizations, the newly launched Chicory Blue General Store, and Seed to Seed, our retail and wholesale seed growing endeavour. Watershed Farm, Chicory Blue and Seed to Seed are dedicated to supporting and promoting local food and food security.

We are firm believers in the rewards of hard work and the joyous sense of accomplishment that comes from a job well done. When the day’s work is done, there is ample opportunity to explore our forest foraging for chanterelles, to swim in the lake at the far end of our property or to try your hand at basket making with our willows.

Watershed Farm is located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mik’maq people. We celebrate diversity and welcome applications from all who feel moved to join us here for the growing season or part thereof.

Farm work will include instruction and direction in the following areas to be followed by unsupervised ongoing responsibilities:
• Chores with animals including chickens, ducks, turkeys and bees
• Seed starting, potting up and transplanting, weeding and irrigation of crops
• Care and propagation of perennials including herbs, berries, nuts and fruit trees
• Harvesting and post-harvest handling of crops including set up at markets and delivery to store/restaurant
• General ground maintenance at the farm and at Chicory Blue including minor repairs to fencing, animal shelters, mowing, trellising, wood splitting, etc.
• Assistance with occasional workshops/school events conducted at the farm or at Chicory Blue
• Pollination, selection and tracking of plants to be used for seed saving, seed harvesting, seed drying, cleaning and packing
• Preserving of different crops including drying and processing of herbs, fermenting, canning, freezing and preparing for root cellar storage

Interns are expected to work 5 -5 ½ days a week and are offered rustic accommodation at the farm. Interns eat communally with the other farm workers and farm managers and share responsibilities equitably for shared living concerns. Interns are welcome to fresh produce from the farm when available, a stipend of $150.00 a week and discounted shopping at Chicory Blue General Store.

To Apply:

Please send a letter of interest and resumé to info at watershedfarm.org

https://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
https://FoodWork.ca/994395

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/994395

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms