[sust-mar] Climate Action Organizer, contract, For Our Kids, anywhere in Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jun 1 10:52:30 EDT 2021

* Work in climate action, environment, sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

Climate Action Jobs
https://GoodWork.ca/Climate
https://GoodWork.ca/951006

Contract: Organizer - Recruitment
Location: anywhere in Canada

1-year contract with prospect of renewal
25 hours a week
Start time: as soon as possible

Organization

For Our Kids is a network dedicated to organizing Canadian parents and grandparents concerned about the climate crisis. We take a distributed organizing approach, encouraging parents and grandparents to form or join local teams and to take action in their communities, and provide support as needed. We seek to build a powerful constituency for climate action. We are a small but growing organization. See ForOurKids.ca

Job Summary

Based anywhere in Canada, this organizing position chiefly concerns the initial recruitment and orientation of climate-concerned parents and grandparents, attracting them and then helping them either plug into existing teams or else start their own teams. The successful applicant will be an outgoing, people person with genuine curiosity about others’ stories, hopes, and fears - the kind of candidate who makes friends with strangers on the bus. Currently we are primarily recruiting parents and grandparents online, then asking for conversations over the phone or Zoom, but we are also hoping that as covid recedes we will add recruiting face to face. The Organizer will work with another existing organizer who focuses more on mature teams, and with a communications/development person who handles those duties. We work in a flat structure, with lots of freedom to innovate, but also with accountability to meeting goals and targets.

Job Description and Duties
• Help design outreach activities, events, and campaigns that attract new people to For Our Kids.
• Follow up individually with new leads, asking for conversations over the phone or Zoom and building relationships.
• Host a monthly Welcome Session over Zoom to orient new people to the network.
• Where teams already exist, plug new people into those teams, helping with onboarding.
• Where teams don’t yet exist, work with new people to start teams, and coach them through the initial phases of that.
• Deliver training individually and/or in group sessions as needed.
• Coordinate with the other Organizer and with the Communications/Development lead on planning and execution of network activities.
• Track and monitor activities in Nationbuilder and evaluate efforts for improvement.

Management

We work collaboratively as a team, but formally this role reports to the For Our Kids Board Chair. Together, you will co-design work plans and check in by video call once a week one on one or with other team members. This is a part-time contract and there is good flexibility with regards to hours of work, noting that evening and/or weekend hours will sometimes be necessary to fit the schedules of parents/grandparents in the network and time zones across Canada.

Summary of Qualifications and Experience

The successful candidate will have a good combination of the following:
• An outgoing personality and genuine curiosity and empathy with people of all kinds.
• Organizing experience – working with groups of people and one-on-one, especially to help others step into leadership roles.
• Good listening, interpersonal, and facilitation skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Familiarity with digital tools – CRMs, social media, project management software.
• Awareness of climate issues and belief that individuals working together can have an impact.
• Ability to work odd hours, depending on the schedules of the parents & grandparents.
• Once covid recedes, willingness to travel.

While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, Black, Indigenous, or people of colour and LGBTQ+ candidates.

Hours and Remuneration

The contract is for 25 hours a week at $30-35/hour + GST, depending on experience. There will be an initial 3-month trial period.

To Apply

To apply for this contract, please send a CV and two brief paragraphs describing why you are suitable to hello at forourkids.ca with “Organizer job application” in the subject line before the end of day June 9th.

No calls please. We thank all candidates for their interest, but we will only contact those selected for an interview.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/951006

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/951006

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca