[sust-mar] Sustainable Cities Coordinator, full-time, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Jun 21 18:13:08 EDT 2021

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUSTAINABLE CITIES
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/915306

Position: Sustainable Cities Coordinator / Job Posting EAC 21-06-21
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

ABOUT US

The Ecology Action Centre is a dynamic and vibrant environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. Since 1971, we have proudly served in a leadership role, tackling critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. Grounded in community, we are a strong voice and watchdog for our environment, taking a holistic approach to the environment, our economy, and the creation of a just and sustainable society.

We strive to promote a diverse and inclusive organizational culture that emphasizes strong values, collaboration, quality work, and real impact. We value our members, volunteers, staff, and partners. Our values-driven work is created, managed, and overseen by our determined, passionate, and highly competent staff. We have a team of incredible people who share ideas, friendships, and a contagious level of inspiration and determination to make the world a better place.

ABOUT YOU

You have a passion for sustainable, equitable and vibrant cities and a determination to make change. You thrive working in collaborative environments and building relationships to partner with organizations, private sector and the public, sharing your knowledge about sustainable cities. You have an understanding of urban planning processes and municipal-level government and are passionate about inspiring change in these environments. Your experience as an effective campaigner and ability to confidently communicate will allow you to successfully advance the Green Network Plan, coordinate the Our HRM Alliance (a coalition of over 60 members), monitor various city building projects and be involved with community engagement, municipal officials, elected representatives, the public across Halifax, and perhaps provincial-level decision-makers.

YOUR FOCUS

As the Sustainable Cities Coordinator, you are responsible for developing and leading our built environment initiatives in Halifax and across Nova Scotia which promote sustainable urban growth with equitable access to amenities and affordable housing for all; protected natural ecosystems and watersheds; energy-efficient building construction; and the protection of heritage and cultural assets.

Key elements of this work will be to design and carryout community engagement initiatives, research and analyze planning reports and policies, identify and implement sustainable regional planning policy solutions with partners, managing the activities of Our HRM Alliance and supporting the EAC’s Urban Development Advocacy Team.

WHAT YOU WILL BRING
• Proven skills as a relationship builder and change maker: able to provide facilitation and leadership on complex issues, build coalitions, and work effectively with diverse stakeholders, communities and community organizations in order to strengthen our collective ability to create change
• Familiarity with urban planning initiatives and the political and legal contexts of planning in the Halifax region
• Superb communication skills: working with the public, speaking, writing, and delivering presentations to various audiences
• 2 year’s related work experience, strong expertise, experience, research background and/or degree in Community Design and Urban and Regional Planning
• Ability to understand, analyze, and respond to plans, policies, planning reports and development applications
• An ability to gather and analyze the most?critical information needed to understand problems and offer reasonable alternatives to resolve problems or make decisions.
• Some design experience (web design, InDesign or Canva)
• Experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis
• Media savvy with excellent social media acumen
• Practical project management experience, including manage project finances and complete reports to funders and other stakeholders
• Prior experience identifying and supporting the pursuit of fundraising and grant opportunities
• Ability to work independently and effectively manage and prioritize multiple tasks
• Persistent, diplomatic, creative, optimistic, with a team-oriented approach
• Willing to work occasional evenings and weekends, and willing to travel within the Halifax region

Other skills and experiences considered an asset are:
• Experience working with non-profit and community organizations
• Experience or expertise with respect to wilderness conservation, climate change mitigation, economic development, or water conservation
• Relationships with African-Nova Scotian and Mi’kmaq communities
• Staff and/or volunteer management experience
• Experience in engagement organizing, storytelling, and/or development evaluation including familiarity with the IAP2 Spectrum

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• This is a full time position, 37.5 hours a week (Mon-Fri) Wage starts at $22.44 per hour (based on relevant experience).
• Four weeks of paid vacation; cost-shared benefits plan
• Position begins in August 2021
• During COVID, this position has been working remotely. Post-COVID, the position is expected to be working primarily on-site with some remote work. On-site work will be at our Halifax office at 2705 Fern Lane in our renovated, energy-efficient green office building.
• The first floor of our building is designed to be universally accessible.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document titled “YOURNAME_SUSTAINABLECITIES” to Nancy Julien, HR Manager at employment at ecologyaction.ca

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

The closing date is July 4, 2021.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally underrepresented groups including, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Mi’kmaq and other Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of an underrepresented community.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/915306

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/915306

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca