[sust-mar] Science Communications Intern, summer job, Atlantic Water Network, Atlantic Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Mar 3 17:34:53 EST 2021

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOBS & STUDENT JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/SummerJobs
https://GoodWork.ca/909885

Position: Science Communications Intern
Type: summer job / age 30 & under
Location: Atlantic Canada

Job Description – Clean Leadership 2021 Program

We are committed to Employment Equity and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels. We welcome applicants from Indigenous People, Visible Minority Groups, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on our pre-screening form as you may also be eligible for one of our specialized internship streams (inclusive of more tailored programming, supports and resources for each group).

Summary of the Program

The Clean Leadership program (formerly Nova Scotia Youth Conservation Corps or Youth Corps) was established in 1989 to provide youth with training and employment opportunities in the environmental field. This program engages community partners across the province to hire students to carry out work in the summer months that fosters environmental stewardship. The Clean Leadership program provides youth with clean sector work experience; an enhanced appreciation of the environment and their community, with opportunity to give back; skills for life-long learning (including job-readiness and leadership skills); and knowledge for future employment and/or education ventures.

Job Title

Science Communications Intern – 15-week internship

Summary of Position

The community partner for this Summer Student Intern position through the Clean Leadership program will be Saint Mary’s University’s Atlantic Water Network (AWN), reporting to AWN’s Manager. In this position, you will be responsible for developing social media campaigns to be used by both AWN and our community partners to highlight the importance of community-based water monitoring programs. You will be given several opportunities to (virtually) interact with our community partners and learn about local and regional water issues. The successful candidate needs to be a strong writer, have experience developing (social) media campaigns, have a creative mindset, an aptitude for design, and passion for the environment.

Community Partner

Atlantic Water Network is a Saint Mary’s University organization, based in the Geography Department in Halifax. AWN collaborates with over 80 organizations across Atlantic Canada to assist and elevate community-based water monitoring programs. AWN works to create free resources for community groups such as an Environmental Monitoring Equipment Bank, standardized training via WET-Pro certification, a secure and open access data hub (Atlantic DataStream), and workshops on data management, analysis, and communication.

Duties and Responsibilities
• Support AWN staff with pre- and post-event communications for a summer Citizen Science Bootcamp
• Create content and coordinate social media campaigns to promote AWN’s core programming and showcase new tools and projects
• Working directly with partners, create content for social media and blog posts such as our Community Spotlight series and #WaterDataWednesday feature
• Support AWN’s community partners with communications and outreach
• Design a workshop to assist community partners with public media relations
• Write in-depth feature of a local water issue, highlighting work of one of AWN’s community partner’s programs for traditional and social media
• Support the redesign of AWN’s visual identity guide, including through the creation of new design assets such as icons and infographics

Requirements/Qualifications
• Must be a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada;
• Must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years at time of internship;
• Must be a full-time student and intending to return to school in Fall 2021;
• Must not be an immediate family member of community partner;
• Have an aptitude for safe work practices and the ability to multi-task in a busy work environment;
• Be able to work productively as part of a team while responding to feedback;
• Demonstrated interest in future employment in the environmental or clean sector is considered an asset;
• Completing a degree in Communications, Journalism, Business, Arts, or Environmental Science
• Must have strong written communication, visual design, and interpersonal skills
• Preference will go to candidates with photography and graphic design experience
• Must be adept in both teamwork and working independently
• Passion for community-based environmental work is necessary

Working Conditions
• Requires a home office setup and laptop (access to design software and other tools will be provided)
• Willingness to travel within the province and to other Maritime provinces, should travel be permitted

Physical Requirements
• N/A

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/909885

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/909885

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca