[sust-mar] At-Sea Observers, full-time, includes accom., Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Sun Mar 14 16:50:38 EDT 2021

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

NOVA SCOTIA JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/Maritimes
https://GoodWork.ca/943095

Position: At-Sea Observer
Locations: throughout Nova Scotia — includes accom.

Atlantic Catch Data Limited (ACD) has roots in the commercial fishery monitoring programs within the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) that stem from the inception of the dockside monitoring program in the early 1990’s. These programs were implemented by DFO in part as a response to the rapid decline of key commercial fish stocks, most notably the cod collapse. ACD currently provides dockside monitoring and at-sea coverage for all ports in Nova Scotia and southern New Brunswick with a large portion of the at sea coverage occurring on the southern shore of Nova Scotia.

We are looking to hire and train individuals for the At Sea Observer role.

This position is for those who have an adventurous outlook on life or are looking for a break from the indoors environment!

Job Description

At-Sea Observers are designated to record fishing activity data onboard commercial vessels, noting the species caught, fishing effort, and adherence to the Fisheries Act. A secondary component of observer responsibilities is biological data collection of assigned species by length measurements, maturity stage determination, and stomach analysis. The data collected is used by both the Science and Conservation and Protection branches of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans uses for the ecosystem fisheries management approach. Due to the use of information collected, selected candidates must successfully complete our training course to obtain At-Sea Observer designation from DFO prior to employment.

Term: Full-time and Seasonal Employment available.

Qualifications:
• Must have reliable transportation
• Must have access to a cellphone
• Understand fundamental mathematics
• Is not an employee of a fisherman or fish processor
• Is not involved with transporting or commercial brokering of fish
• Have a grade 12 education or equivalent work related experience
• No criminal record (Record check will be conducted)

Wage: $170 per sea day for the probationary period plus travel

To Apply:

Apply via our careers page here or contact us with a resume at: hr at atlanticcatchdata.ca

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/943095

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca