[sust-mar] Marine Mammal Coordinator, contract/intern, Sierra Club, Eastern Canada

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Sep 14 13:13:27 EDT 2021

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

Environmental Jobs in Atlantic Canada
Local green jobs: https://GoodWork.ca/atl-only
Anywhere in Canada: https://GoodWork.ca/virtual

Position: Marine Mammal Coordinator
Location: Eastern Canada - working from home: will be required to have access to home office, computer,  phone and internet. Intern may also be asked to organize face-to-face events, if safe to do so

Eligibility: 30 or younger & post-secondary graduate

The Marine Mammal Coordinator will be responsible for supporting research and policies to protect the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale.

In partnership with whale researchers, environmental organizations, and filmmakers, the candidate will be responsible for organizing outreach events in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, and the US to increase awareness about the plight of the right whale.

The candidate will also be responsible for organizing a multi-stakeholder meeting on spatial protection in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the northern home of the North Atlantic right whale. This gathering will set the stage for an expert report on how to protect migratory species such as the right whale in the broader context of ecosystem restoration. The outcome of this gathering and input from local experts will shape Sierra Club’s participation and presence at the International Marine Protected Areas Congress 5 (IMPAC5), June 2022.

Sierra Club Canada Foundation is committed to inclusivity, equity, and diversity within our community. We seek to hire talent with a range of life experiences and perspectives, recognizing that our mission-driven work is best advanced by the contributions of people of all genders with diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. We encourage applicants from all ages, cultures, races, religions, colours, sexual orientation, gender identities or expressions, disability statuses, nationalities, or other statuses protected by law. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at hr at sierraclub.ca (All information relating to accommodation needs will be addressed confidentially).

Tasks will include:
• Research and Indigenous consultation regarding whale biology, oceanography, and marine management
• Event organizing and promotion
• Under-taking science-based communications (oral, online, traditional media)
• Engagement organizing to promote awareness and action to prevent the extinction of the right whale
• Workshop agenda development, organizing and follow-up
• Collaboration with key stakeholder groups and experts
• Creation of display materials and interactive learning opportunities for public events and IMPAC5

Start Date: As soon as possible. We are actively reviewing applications so please apply today if this job is for you !

Renumeration & Term: $42,900 annual salary, plus health benefits. This is a 12-month position. Occasional travel may be required to participate in meetings and workshops and will be reimbursed.

Organizational Background

The Sierra Club Canada Foundation (SCCF) is a national registered charity that includes four chapters: Atlantic, Québec, Ontario, and Prairie, plus the Sierra Youth Coalition. At our heart, we are a grassroots organization with a “think globally, act locally” philosophy. Working with a strong volunteer base and collaboratively with other organizations has allowed us to successfully engage in a range of environmental activities that directly benefit both people and the planet.

Criteria

This is a Science Horizons internship position, applicants must be:
• No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
• Graduated from a post-secondary program
• A Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or person who has been granted Refugee status in Canada
• Not in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) during the internship
• Please go here to find out more: https://cleanfoundation.ca/science-horizons/

Qualifications for this Position
• Post-secondary degree of higher in biology, oceanography, geography, environmental science, and / or science communication/education
• Passion for whales and ocean protection
• Critical thinking skills
• Ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholder groups and experts
• Excellent communicator
• Ability to organize events (logistics, time management, volunteer coordination)
• Creativity
• Outgoing and energetic
• Time management
• French language skills an asset
• Provide proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19

To Apply:

We are actively interviewing to fill this position so please apply as soon as possible.

Please email a CV and cover letter as a single document to hr at sierraclub.ca and put Marine Mammal Coordinator in the subject line. Your cover letter should:
• Outline the relevant experience you have in relation to this position
• Describe any non-employment experiences that help make you a good fit for this position
• Explain why you are excited to join our team

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

You are welcome to include one sample of supporting material, such as an example of your work. We appreciate you taking the time to apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

We are happy to provide additional information about the position upon request to the email above.

This position: https://GoodWork.ca/913316

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/913316

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca