[sust-mar] Marine Scientist, full-time, Oceana Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Mar 22 11:51:52 EDT 2022

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

Ocean/Marine Conservation
https://GoodWork.ca/Oceans
https://GoodWork.ca/951636

Position: Marine Scientist
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Preferred start date: May 1st, 2022
Reports to: Director of Science

Summary

Oceana Canada is an independent charity committed to rebuilding Canada’s oceans by winning science-based policy victories that increase biodiversity and abundance. We have successfully campaigned to end the shark fin trade, make rebuilding depleted fish populations the law, improve the way fisheries are managed and protected marine habitats. Oceana Canada is part of the largest international advocacy group dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Globally, Oceana has won more than 200 policy victories for marine life and habitats. From stopping bottom trawling in sensitive habitat areas to protecting sea turtles from commercial fishing gear, our victories represent new hope for the world's oceans.

Oceana Canada seeks a Marine Scientist to play a key role in support of its campaigns. The Marine Scientist, reporting to the Director of Science, will be responsible for campaign goals, report writing and developing the scientific foundation for our work on fisheries and marine conservation. The position requires a combination of strong research abilities, critical thinking, and communication skills.

Principal duties and responsibilities
• Provide research and campaign support for our fisheries and habitat protection goals.
• Develop relationships in fishing communities in support of fisheries rebuilding.
• Attend and contribute to externally convened meetings on fisheries science and management.
• Critique management decisions affecting the sustainability of our fisheries and ocean.
• Write, edit, and prepare reports and policy recommendations with meticulous attention to detail.
• Keep up to date on best fisheries and conservation practices, methodologies and innovations.
• Contribute to our global efforts in support of Oceana’s mission to “Save the Ocean, Feed the World”.
• Perform additional duties as needed or assigned.

Requirements
• Graduate level degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline with practical and relevant experience.
• Strong knowledge of fisheries science and marine conservation issues in Canada.
• Excellent writing, editing, communication and research skills are required.
• Must be willing to accept a varied workload and long or alternative hours to accommodate travel.
• Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously in a dynamic work environment with speed, accuracy, and a positive attitude; show initiative, and exhibit insightful planning and execution of responsibilities.
• The successful candidate must be available for full-time work in Canada.

Oceana Canada offers a competitive salary and benefits package.

Oceana Canada is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Nova Scotia Accessibility Act, support will be provided in the recruitment process and accommodations for disabilities will be provided on request wherever appropriate. All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a criminal background check.

While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.

TO APPLY: Please apply at the link below no later than Friday, April 15, 2022 for the best consideration. Applications will be assessed upon receipt; therefore, we encourage early submission.

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=c636b4b1-9b8d-4e27-a0d2-6cdea1e0fdc6&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=440821&source=CC2&lang=en_US

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/951636

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/951636

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca