[e-drive][THEATRE CARES VANCOUVER 2003]

Kaethe Yanovsky kaethe at caea.com
Fri Dec 6 13:06:13 EST 2002

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~e-drive~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theatre Cares Vancouver announces plans for 2003

Theatre Cares Vancouver is proud to announce our second annual
fundraising benefit, A Gershwin Valentine, at the Arts Club Theatre
Granville Island Stage on Sunday, February 16.  The evening will include
a silent auction and will cap off Theatre Cares Week, which raised over
$30,000 last year.  In 2003, proceeds from all our fundraising efforts
will be divided between the Actors' Fund of Canada, local HIV/AIDS
relief, and Triage Emergency Services & Care Society.

A Gershwin Valentine will celebrate the works of George and Ira
Gershwin, the brilliant brothers who helped elevate musical comedy to an
American art form. So much of their music is best known to us as
exquisite song standards, which have been interpreted by countless
artists in every imaginable musical genre. This Valentine will bring to
the stage a mix of Broadway tradition and jazz, with Vancouver's top
talent offering personal interpretations of such great songs from Lady
Be Good, Girl Crazy, Strike Up the Band, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning
Of Thee I Sing (the first musical ever to be so honoured).

Performers will include jazz artists Miles Black (piano), Laurence
Mollerup
(bass) and Kate Hammett-Vaughan (vocals) Bill Costin - Piano Valerie
Easton
- Director, and musical theatre performers The G-Spots featuring John
Payne and Sanders Whiting Todd Talbot Peter Jorgensen, Ruth Nichol and
Katey Wright, Ralph Shaw, The King of the Ukulele, will perform
Fascinating Rhythym! and many more.  Add in some hot dance numbers, a
host of surprises and the silent auction, and the evening promises to be
memorable.

Theatre Cares Vancouver is a volunteer-based organization that unites
the generous spirit of Vancouver's performing arts community with its
supporters to raise funds and awareness for HIV/AIDS relief and other
worthy causes. Each year, proceeds are divided among local HIV/AIDS
relief agencies, the Actors' Fund of Canada and a third charity,
selected annually by the committee.

After extensive research and on-site visits, we decided upon Triage
Emergency Services & Care Society as our third charity for 2003. Located
in the heart of the Downtown Eastside, Triage shelters homeless people
with mental health and/or substance abuse issues in a safe supportive
environment, while working with them to develop and implement a plan for
the future.

"The Theatre Cares committee is concerned that our efforts be directed
to where they can make the greatest difference, and to those groups
whose work is perhaps less likely to attract other organized fundraising
bodies," says committee chair Dean Paul Gibson. "As our discussions have
progressed, it's become clear that all of us feel the DTES is an area of
significant need in our region. While there is no shortage of worthy
charities who could benefit from our support, our research has
consistently led us to organizations that serve the inhabitants of this
profoundly needy area."

Theatre Cares Vancouver will launch its 2003 fundraising efforts with
Theatre Cares Week, February 10-16, when all participating theatres
around the city and beyond will help raise funds for these all-important
charities. A Gershwin Valentine will cap off this seven-day fundraising
drive. Throughout the year, other fundraising efforts include
merchandise sales, a presence in the Pride Day parade and, most
significantly, the gala benefit and silent auction. Doors will open at
6:30 pm for viewing the silent auction. Tickets are $50, available at
the Arts Club box office (604) 687-1644. For more information, please
contact Maureen Verkaar at (604) 731-2428, and
visit: www.theatrecares.org www.triage.bc.ca