[sust-mar] Event in Petite Riviere! Somethin' Fishy's Goin' On. Resist Open-Net Pen Salmon Farming

Marion Moore marionm12 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 06:54:44 EDT 2023

You are invited to the third in the series of events addressing the issue
of open-net pen salmon farming.

*Somethin’ Fishy’s Goin’ On* *will take place on **Sunday, August 27th,
from 2pm to 4pm* *at the Petite Riviere Fire Hall**, 18 Petite Riviere
Road, Petite Riviere. *

Many people think the struggle to stop open-net pen salmon farming ended a
few years ago, when communities resisted and sent Cermaq packing. But the
work to ensure our ocean is free from this polluting industry is far from
over.

Recently, the provincial government announced that it is moving forward
with a Classification System to designate areas of our coastline for sea
cage salmon farming. While the government has instituted a moratorium on
new applications until this classification system is in place, the
moratorium does not apply to the 27 applications already submitted.

We feel that protecting our oceans from the impacts of feedlot salmon is
too important to leave in the hands of industry and the government.  The
damage caused by these salmon farms to our seaside environment, to the
lobster fishery and other related fisheries, to our tourist industry and to
the health of consumers is horrific.  We cannot allow this destruction to
continue.

The South Shore Chapter of the Council of Canadians, supported by our
allies in the Healthy Bays Network, is committed to holding community
events to raise awareness and build resistance to this filthy industry that
puts both human and environmental health at risk.

We are urging the Government to:

·         not approve any new leases, including no expansion of existing
sites

·         follow a plan to get all existing pens out of the water.

Following successful events in Blue Rocks and Indian Point, we have
organized this event in Petite Riviere the afternoon of August 27th.   Bring
your family to join in this fun and educational event!

·         *Stop by for a few minutes or spend the whole afternoon there. *

·         *Make and take home a lawn sign and buttons to show your support
for protecting our beaches and bays. *

·         *A supervised children’s activity space with button making, art
activities, will allow parents the opportunity to participate in
educational and action opportunities.*

·         *Sign the petition against open net salmon farming, browse the
information tables. *

·         *Listen to a short discussion with our panel of local organizers
who can answer questions and provide up-to- date information about this
issue.  Learn what you can do.*

·         *Join the Raging Grannies in a sing-along. *

·         *Stop by the photo booth for a picture with Clawdia, our 8-foot
lobster!  Make a pledge to do your part to protect the ocean. *

·         *Enjoy lemonade and cookies while you chat with your friends and
neighbours.*

·         *Admission is free; donations are welcome.*