[CANUFNET] Hazard Tree Removal Signage

Spahl, Randall Randall.Spahl at calgary.ca
Wed Jul 2 10:04:09 EDT 2008

Public trees that are believed to be an imminent hazard are not posted -
there is no public consultation.  The site is protected by warning tape
or sometimes staff members and the hazard is alleviated as soon as
possible.  Sometimes this means removing most of the canopy and leaving
the remainder for completion later during regular work hours.

Public trees that should be removed soon for prudence, whether economic
or safety, are posted with removal notices.  The public is given at
least one week, usually several, to witness the notice and make a
response.  If the tree is in a place where the public thinks of it as
private property, for instance in a yard between the public sidewalk and
the house, direct contact is made with the residents of the house.  In
most cases there is no opposition and the removal proceeds.  This is
economical in that the declining tree is dealt with once and not several
times, and potential service calls or damage claims are averted.  In the
cases where there is strong and unbending opposition to the removal, the
case can still be made for the need to remove the deadwood or other
obvious hazards in the canopy.  This gives the members of the public a
sense of achievement in that the tree is kept, and the custodian of the
tree has done due diligence.  A year or two later the now - reduced tree
can be posted again, usually this time without any opposition.  This
costs more but gives better public service than getting into a power
struggle over the removal of a tree that doesn't actually pose an
imminent hazard.

The removal notice should not identify the tree as a hazard, only as an
item on which the steward of the tree intends to take action, and there
should be the expectation of negotiating with the public in some cases.

Randall Spahl
Certified Arborist - ISA

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a
person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the
intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution,
or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in
it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or
delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by
us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and co-operation.