[CANUFNET] Tree Bylaws and infrastructure conflicts

Ward, Greg GAWard at surrey.ca
Fri Oct 31 10:22:54 EDT 2008

Guy,
    For trees located on public property we have one over-arching very simple by-law that states 'thou shall not wilfully damage' etc any tree on city property.  As well, we have a by law that requires all residents to maintain the boulevard section of the road allowance, including vegetation.  So, the public are expected to maintain the boulevard on city road allowance, including the trees, but not damage the trees.

    In practice, however, we actually have a two tiered approach to the maintenance of trees on city owned boulevard road allowance and we take great steps to make residents aware of this practice
        Tier 1.  any tree that is planted by the city or an agent of the city as part of a street tree comprehensive planting program is maintained entirely by the city.
        Tier 2. all other trees are to be maintained by the resident.  The only exception is if we get a call about a Tier 2  tree and it is evaluated by staff as in need of hazard abatement (whole or part tree failure) we will take steps to rectify.

    In terms of your inquiry below we will mitigate all root related infrastructure conflicts for Tier 1 trees at city expense.  We set a budget amount every year for that work and only conduct the work on demand from residents.

    For tier 2 trees the resident is responsible to resolve the issue and we provide residents with references to the two by-laws mentioned above, provide them with general recommendations as to what steps they can take at their expense to rectify the conflict, recommend they hire a certified arborist to conduct any necessary work and that the arborist is skilled in root mitigation work.  We also remind them that the work must be done in accordance with arboriculture best practices, making them aware that the health and structural stability of the tree is critical.

    The above approach seems to work, not all residents are happy that they are responsible for Tier 2 trees and can't remove them when they wish, or that the city will not help with their maintenance.  Very few of these issues get bumped to me to resolve so my guess is the unhappiness is not too great.  As well, all things considered, we find very little non-compliance by the residents.

    Lastly, with the above, there are always exceptions to the practices.  Those are best described in a conversation.

hope this helps,

Greg Ward
Manager, Urban Forestry and Environmental Programs
City of Surrey, B.C.
604 501 5170

'Nature matters,
protect, enhance, enjoy'