[CANUFNET] Healthy tree definition

For Trees trees at fortrees.ca
Mon Feb 1 00:04:06 EST 2010

I am a professional arborist and run a small company here in rural Alberta.
Every year, we remove hundreds of trees whose only "crime" was being planted
in the wrong place. Trees are too close to houses, buildings, power lines,
streets, new sidewalk construction, fuel tanks, fence lines or other trees,
over hot tubs, decks or patios, block views, create nuisances for
neighbours, get old, are falling apart, or people simply didn't like them or
were afraid of them when they got too big. Now I assume there are dozens of
other arborist companies in Alberta larger than mine and perhaps hundreds of
companies nationwide engaged in similar urban tree cutting activities on a
daily basis. This adds up to thousands upon thousands of urban and rural
trees removed each year, all for preventable reasons. When we, as
professionals, are asked to plant trees whose mature shape and form we know
far exceed the dimensions of the space allotted for them, is it okay to do
so, just because some 'vested interest" tells us to?  Are trees to be seen
as community Green Infrastructure, whose purpose it is to filter the air,
store carbon, create oxygen and shade, hold soil and slow down storm water,
to grow as large as possible and last as long as possible, or are they
simply Green Garnish, to be placed by the dry side of a busy road in
compacted soil, surrounded by concrete and asphalt and doomed to die in a
few years?

If trees are Green Infrastructure, then shouldn't everyone on the urban
design team be aware of how to best maximize the tree resource, and plant
the proper trees in the proper spaces, give them the proper care they need
so they can live long and prosper, thereby giving us the return on our
investment that we expect and deserve?

If trees are merely Green Garnish, to be rotated and replaced every so often
as soon as they are too big, sicken or die, then what does it matter what
initial shape or form they may have? I have personally witnessed White
Spruce being planted on the boulevard of a busy Alberta tourist town street,
and how long will they have to last in that environment? Why, just a few
years, at best!

I have heard of arborists being hired to prune new trees after they were
planted so that they might "pass the City's inspection", heading back all
except one of the new trees upper branches, so that the trees might have a
"strong central leader". Physiologically, removal of too many terminal buds
in the newly transplanted tree will hormonally direct new growth away from
the roots, which the newly transplanted tree needs, to the shoots, which the
newly transplanted tree will have difficulty sustaining. If the original
question was how do we, as urban foresters, create policy to ensure the
health of newly transplanted trees, then any policy which forced a
contractor to perform potentially deleterious pruning such as this, was
clearly not pragmatic.

Interesting that the CNLA's Canadian Standards for Nursery Stock should be
referenced. This is a very pragmatic, clear and useful document precisely
because it allows for regional variance with respect to specific trees.
Section 5.2.2,  Standard Shade Trees, pages 19-20 of the eighth edition
reads: " trees must have straight sturdy trunks, with a well branched and
balanced head. Branching structure of the head will vary according to
species, height, age and climatic/cultural conditions. A dominant, central
leader will not necessarily be evident or expected at a certain age of a
tree's maturity or be typical of its natural growth habit. This form of
intermediate or diffuse branching should be recognized and considered
acceptable when bid specifications are given."

Furthermore, the spirit of this document is clearly outlined in section A,
General Requirements , page 6, A-7, "Quality must be typical for the species
when grown under proper cultural conditions."

I have been a member of LANTA, the Landscape Alberta Nursery Trades
Association, our provincial affiliate of the Canadian Nursery Landscape
Association, or worked for a member company, since 1984. I am also a nursery
grower, and occasionally attend meetings of the Alberta Grower's group, also
attended by Mr. Harold Voogd, our Alberta representative on the Canadian
Standards committee. This "healthy tree definition" has sparked quite the
debate in recent months! As the current Vice President of the Prairie
Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture, I have been asked by
that Board to draft a position paper on the substance of a "healthy tree
definition" and outlining our Chapter's position with regard to the Canadian
Standards. As the incoming President of LANTA, I have recieved many
complaints from several different members whose trees have been recently
rejected prior to FAC , based on what looks like literal, arbitrary and
inflexible interpretations of the Canadian Standards. I look forward to the
opportunity to contact you directly, Travis,  in the coming days or weeks,
as our schedules permit, so that I may hear  more of your side of this
controversial topic.

Until then, perhaps we could all agree with Bill Mollison, the founder of
Permaculture, who states: "The only ethical decision is to take
responsibility for our own existence and that of our children."?

Yours truly,

ForTreeslogocolour

Gerard Fournier

Board Certified Master Arborist #PR-0130BT

Tree Canada Community Advisor-Southern Alberta

President

For Trees Company Ltd.

1-877-390-TREE (Alberta toll-free)

 <http://www.fortrees.ca/> http://www.fortrees.ca